Michigan Practice Cook (Apr 25-26), Eagle, MI

Spydermike72

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
The GLBBQA is pleased to announce that we will be holding a Practice Cook on April 25 and 26 at The Eagle Park in Eagle MI.

Shake off the Winter blues, tune up the pit and join us for a fun Practice Cook. Arrive Friday afternoon or Saturday morning. Turn in all 4 meats or compete with meats you can cook on Saturday. In any event, we will have judging on Saturday at the traditional turn in times and cash awards and prizes in all four categories. Not to mention "Bragging Rights"!! Judging will conform to KCBS style rules.

$$ Amounts will be based upon the number of people that enter:
Raffles will also be held for some great prizes!!!!

We need Judges!! Please contact Theresa or Michael if you would like to be a Judge.

Eagle Park will open on Friday afternoon and has restrooms, water (please bring your own water container), trash receptacles, ash cans, and limited electricity. In addition, they have a full kitchen facility. The park is lighted.

Turn in: Noon – Chicken
12:30 PM – Ribs
1:00 PM – Pork
1:30 PM - Brisket

Come on out for a great time!!
See you in April!

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Questions?? E-Mail: Mike Terry at mterry@glbbqa.com or Theresa Munroe at tmandb17@comcast.net Subject: GLBBQA April Cook off. [/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Proceeds to benefit GLBBQA Charities. [/FONT]​
Entry fee: Saturday = $35.00
Friday and Saturday = $50.00

Last edited:
I hope the snow is done by then Mike!! :cool:

And by the way, this is open to all interested parties, you do not have to be a member of the GLBBQA...

Hope you have fun. I can't get the Friday off so I'll probably end up doing a Saturday/Sunday cook at home. Depends on how soon I get the trailer finished. Still doing drawings of layout so it may be mid April till I'm ready.

I hope the snow is done by then Mike!! :cool:

Farmers almanac has a winter storm system, and lake defect snow warning for that weekend. 18 to 20 in for the Lansing area. Just my luck.

Am trying to get Friday off work to attend, may just have to show up Sat and Judge. We'll see if Bubba has garnered any wisdom from the winter infomercial on brisket, chicken, ribs, and pork butt. There will be electricity so you can bring the microwave.:rolleyes:

We have some exciting news for this Practice Cook, we will have several raffles for this practice cook. The biggest one is a raffle for a free entry into the Taste of Grand Rapids KCBS event!!

We will also be raffling off a UDS/Drum Smoker made especially for this event by our own BBQ Bubba!! That alone is worth the price of 2 raffle tickets!!

This event is open to all!!

If you have any questions please feel free to contact Tonto1117 or myself.

just bumping this up a bit...

send Tonto a pm on other forum about judging

Looks like with this new assignment I might be able to make it. Need to work out getting the trailer to Eagle and then I'm sure I can do it. I hear they have great raffle prizes for the day. :-D

I figure I can put the fridge in the trailer the weekend of the 5th as it's Michigan so the snow should be gone right? :eek: Note I didn't say put in the water pump and heater! That goes in the weekend of the 19th. Plan to start the season with an EZUP and the way I'm setting it up I can still haul the golf cart.

So it's off to SAM's this weekend to get a couple of briskets to get them at least 35 days aged. :twisted: Heck it's time to buy WAMAC briskets as well.

Anybody want to be my runner? After all it's going to be at least 10 steps to the judging tent :biggrin::lol::lol::lol:

Cool...:cool: Good to hear!! I'm sure we can find you a runner...:p:lol:

Ford would love to see you again at Eagel Park.
Ive got some judges lined up. Will make a call tomorrow or Friday to contact our local co. sherrif, Wayne Kangas.
Possibly got a professional chef and some other conniseurs sp? of fine quisine that I shall contact this week as wel for judges for this gig.
Also might..............and I mean might have a senior Brethren brother who may make the trip here to judge as well. Fingers crossed.
I just hope the weather holds out for the best.
Im really looking forward to this fun cook.

Sound's like it's gaining some momentum!!
Hope to see ya there Ford! UDS is complete except some decorating :shock:
I agree with you Bull, I've been doin a lot of cookin but ready to get into comp mode!! :wink:

Hey Ford, I know we can find a runner for you!! I hope you can make it.

Bull, please save a judging spot for my lovely bride...

Thanks Bull, This goes out to our Ohio/Indiana/Illinois and Canadian friends as well. We have a great location and it is a great time to get back in the groove. Come on out and have a good time. Dont forget we are raffling off a FREE entry to the Taste of Grand Rapids KCBS event and we will be raffling a custom made DRUM SMOKER built by our own Brother BBQ BUBBA.

I believe I have the number of judges needed.
I have confirmations from a few, some regretable turndowns from a couple profesioanl chefs.
Spoke w/Dave Klose tonite and he would love to attend but he is unavailable.
I asked him to pencil us in for next year.
Best part is I havent thrown a trump card as of yet. In my mind...........I would rather only deal w/potential judges that are 25 yrs of age or older. Not trying to discrimanate here but just want some adult palates. Also trying to get a blend of 50/50 male/female judges.
The folks who I have contacted have a huge appreciation for fine Q.
Hope im headed in the proper direction here.

I hope that this is going to be one hell of a fun time for all folks involved. Cooks and their teams as well as the quality of judges im trying to recruit.

I want better judges than ive seen judging at sanctioned contests that ive cooked in the past.
Not slamming anybody here at all, just want a fair shake for all of us.

Bump!! We are getting a pretty good response but I know there are some Brethren from Michigan,Ohio,Indiana,Illinois, and Canada that have not responded. We are in a great location, and this would be a good time to get your feet wet in a comp setting if you have never cooked in one. Or you can break out the smokers and get them ready for the comp year as well as fine tune your receipes. This will be a good time!!

whoa makes me think what did i get into by volunteering with Tonto..lol

i am a professional eater, guess i qualify then..lol

Best part is I havent thrown a trump card as of yet. In my mind...........I would rather only deal w/potential judges that are 25 yrs of age or older. Not trying to discrimanate here but just want some adult palates. Also trying to get a blend of 50/50 male/female judges.
The folks who I have contacted have a huge appreciation for fine Q.
Hope im headed in the proper direction here.

I hope that this is going to be one hell of a fun time for all folks involved. Cooks and their teams as well as the quality of judges im trying to recruit.

I want better judges than ive seen judging at sanctioned contests that ive cooked in the past.
Not slamming anybody here at all, just want a fair shake for all of us.

Getting really close now and wanted to bump this up with less then two weeks to go.8)
It is shaping up to be a great event with 11 teams singed up and more saying they are going to try and make it.

I also wanted to let you know we will have great raffles for the cookoff!!! We will be raffling off a FREE entry into the Taste of Grand Rapids KCBS event in July. We will also be raffling off a custom made Drum Smoker compliments of Steve Coddington(BBqBubba), as well as some other great goodies! It is also a good time to get your feet wet in the competition world without spending a lot of money. The unique setup allows for you to cook either 2 days (4 meats), like a real KCBS event, or one day (Ribs and Chicken), or whatever you can get done in time for turn in's.

FYI...These are the teams that are signed up so far.

All Day Smoke
Pork of the North
Extreme Roasters
Down Home BBQ
Dr Chuckies BBQ
Great Lakes BBQ & Feed
Smoke Eaters BBQ
Three Men and a Pig
Smokin' Scotsmen BBQ
DB BBQ
Hog Wild BBQ

So to all our Brethren in Michigan,Ohio,Indiana,Illinois, and Canada...come on out for a great weekend to cook or just say howdy and hang out!! If you have any questions please shoot me or Mike Terry(Spydermike72) a PM, or e-mail us at the addresses mentioned in post #1.

Look foward to seeing ya'll there!!!:wink:

Back