Blizzard Chili

bfraze99

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
What up people? As i sit here "working" from home today... watching the snow fall and blow around... i ventured to the store picked up a sirloin steak and some burger.... making chili... Who has some good recipes? Im always looking for some new ideas in chili making. It is not really my cup of tea, but was not going to fire up the pit in 30mph wind and snow. So i decided to do a little playing around with some chili....

Here's one of mine for you to try.

Real Good Chile

2 1/2 lb beef tenderloin tips or Sirloin cubes or Tenderloin
1 x Beef bouillon cube
1 lb Lean pork, ground
12 oz Budweiser beer (I use Labatt’s)
1 x Large onion, chopped fine
1 1/4 c Water
2 T Wesson oil
6 T Chili powder (season to your fire level)
3 x Garlic cloves, minced
2 1/2 T Ground cumin
2 T Diced green chilies
1/8 t Dry mustard
8 oz Tomato sauce
1/8 t Brown sugar
1 x Salt and pepper to taste
1 x Oregano, pinch

In a large kettle or Dutch oven, brown the Beef, Pork and Onions
in hot Wesson Oil. Add Salt and Pepper to taste. Add remaining
ingredients. Stir well. Cover and simmer 3 to 4 hours, until
meat is tender and Chili is thick and bubbly. Stir occasionally.

Six hours of simmer is even better as is put this Chile in the frig overnight and serve the next day.

The official bilizzard chili recipe...

1 - Pack of Bacon(cut off fat and render down for grease in pan) then crisp up the bacon in the pan cut into 1 inch chunks.
1 can Beef Stock
1 can Chicken Stock
1 - 1 1/2 cups water
1 - can tomato sauce ( i like the organic stuff from costco)
Simmer for 30 mins

Brown your meat while simmering
1 Tbs Lard(grease fry pan)
1.5lb sirloin steak (cubed)
1.5lb chili grind or burger... whatever you got...
Season meat with Salt, pepper and paprika( just sprinkle some)
Add meat and simmer another 30 mins
Add:

1 Tbs Chili Powder
1 Tbs Granulated Onion
1 tsp Granulated Garlic
1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
1/4 tsp Ancho Chili Power
1/2 tsp Salt

Simmer 1 hour

Add:
4 tsp Cumin
1 tsp Granulated Garlic
1/4 tsp black pepper
5 Tbs Chiili Powder ( add more or less depending on your heat range)
1 tsp of corn syrup

Simmer for 1 hr.

Top with sour cream and cheese

Enjoy!!

Let me know if you like it!

I think we have about 6 inches of snow here, wet and heavy. The ground is still soft so it tears everything up plowing. Just got done and inside. Chili sounds like a good idea but we are just going to warm up some frozen leftover chili. Bacon sounds like a good addition to the stuff.

Yea.. i was thinking outside the box on this recipe... But Bacon makes everything better!

I was really surprized how well it compliments as it all comes together... we got like 10" by noon... now were getting hit again... and the wind is blowing like crazy!!

I just made some chili using some left over brisket. It was very tasty!

I'm confused. You ask for a chili recipe and then post your own........:confused:

I live in CA but am from TX. Personally I don't consider anything that has anything visual in it other than meat and sauce to be chili. My chili is very simple. No measurements.

Ground beef
Cumin
Chili powder
Salt
Water
Tomato sauce(1 small can for 4-5 lbs of meat)
Flour or masa for thickening.

I think the brand of chili powder can be a big deal but I just use the basic gebhart.

That is standard Texas chili. Lots will add garlic and onion powder but in even smaller amounts than the cumin.

After browning the meat well, I throw a handful of flour in and let the flour cook some in the rendered fat. Lower the heat so it doesn't burn. It gets kind of dry at this point. Then all the seasoning, then water, stir and simmer for an hour. I add tomato then and more chili powder. Simmer another 45 min.

Beef broth makes for a richer chili but salt kind of takes care of that.

No beans.

I'm confused. You ask for a chili recipe and then post your own........:confused:[/QU

Sorry... I was looking for ideas. See what eveyone is putting in there chili. Then make my own. Hence how i came up with the blizzard chili recipe.. same as people do with rubs and bbq sauce... I did a bunch of reaserch and thats how i put together this recipe..

Back