My Yoder Smokers YS1500 has arrived! (Very picture heavy)

I use the ET-732 and I'm very happy with it. I'm not using it to measure pit temp anymore because the 1500 is now so reliable. I will use it if I'm cooking a Rib Roast or something where the IT of the meat needs to be known.

Hey all. Currently have a pg1000 and looking to get something bigger. I am selling a gravity fed and considering upgrading the pg1000 that I also have to a ys1500

What's the thoughts will I be happy going from a pg1000 to a ys1500??

How is the direct functionality as I do like it on the pg 1000 and don't want yo give that up

Thanks

I've never used a PG1000, so I cannot comment on the differences. The YS1500 as is has a pretty small direct area by opening the HMS plate. However, as with other Yoder pellet grills, you could buy GrillGrates and leave the HMS in and slide the plate open, or remove the HMS and cook directly over the flame with GrillGrates installed.

Based on the specs on the PG1000, the Yoder will use more pellets. The PG1000 says 1.2lbs per hour at 400*. That's about the burn rate at 225* on the Yoder. However, with the GrillGrates installed and HMS out, temp will get hotter, quicker and with less effort, so pellet consumption should go down in my estimation. But again, it didn't get that setup with my YS1500 so I can't say for sure. I've used GrillGrates on a YS640 with the deflector removed and it works great.

hi , still trying to decide on the ys1500...

any negatives on the unit? any major maintenance issues as i am lazy? if it is in a humid area and out in the elements? i am just about to move forward..but slightly hesitant only because i haven't seen one and the price...

The only difficult part about maintainence vs normal pellet pits is cleaning. Since it doesn't use the traditional solid deflector plate that you can't just foil and peel. However, the fact that it doesn't have that plate is a big part of why it performs so well. So scrapeing the HMS plate and cleaning out the drippings in the bottom are the toughest part, but you don't need to do that very often since the grease drains out. A puddly knife and 10 minutes every month or two (depending on how much you use it) is all you need to do. Well worth the benefits it has on cooking performance.

Sure, it's not cheap, but it's an investment. Now a grill you will replace every two, three, five, ten years, but one you can keep for a lifetime.

It gets very humid here in the summer, but I keep my unit in the garage when not in use. Some people leave these in the elements and the hopper is designed well enough that water shouldn't get it. But I always like to keep mine sheltered when not in use.

They are more impressive in person than in pictures.

Well I ordered my unit today. Very excited. 1500 on its way!!!!!

Ordered half pallet of pellets and grill grates

The only thing is I had to go silver as they were sold out of orange and I don't want to wait. Hopefully silver looks as good as orange does

Should have unit in a about a week

Last edited:
I have a cooking question when using the 1500

When cooking a turkey or whole or split chickens how would you cook with the hms? And temp ?

Ribs pork butt and brisket are pretty much straight forward I think but when cooking the birds that would be a higher temp how would you set it up from your experience?

Also how critical is leveling on the 1500 as my patio has some pitch to it

Thanks

I've never been good at consistently greeting poultry skin bite through, so I may not have the best answer. But you can cook the bird wherever, then set the bird over the HMS plate and open it to finish the bird and hit it with some direct heat.

As far as leveling, you want the stack end slightly lower than the hopper end so the grease drains away from the firepot and out of the pit properly.

You want to make sure the grease drains out and not towards your fire pit. For turkey and chicken I cook hotter 300 to 350 .. Skin is better and there still is plenty of smoke.

Also how critical is leveling on the 1500 as my patio has some pitch to it

Thanks

As far as leveling, you want the stack end slightly lower than the hopper end so the grease drains away from the firepot and out of the pit properly.

You want to make sure the grease drains out and not towards your fire pit.

I have a pretty good pitch on my patio and i put two of the wheels, on the fire pot side, on blocks that actually came with the unit. Worked perfectly for me, drains right out. I could be pretty bad if it drained into the fire pot. There are safeguards there but if you have a big cook, it could get ugly.

Do you happen to know who manufactures the cart for that thing? (I'm assuming yoder outsources that part.)

Do you happen to know who manufactures the cart for that thing? (I'm assuming yoder outsources that part.)

I don't know for sure, but I would guess it's made in house. I know for sure they are painted in house.

Nothing new other than the usual great food this pit cooks. Cooking ribs on it tomorrow and I know they will be great, they always are. Yoder has got this pit nailed so I don't think there is much to update really. I still use it all of the time.

Did you get your pit yet? If so how are you liking it?

Back