Rib Temperature vs 300

Do people seriously need to be reminded that every meat you put in your smoker has at least two sides? I mean really. If your ribs, or whatever, starts to get too dark on the bottom, turn the **** over! You have a whole other side to work with.

I keep reading how folks complain that their ribs are constantly charred on the bottom...and I keep hearing Bubba's mother in my head, "Are ya crazy, or just plain stupid?"

Do people seriously need to be reminded that every meat you put in your smoker has at least two sides? I mean really. If your ribs, or whatever, starts to get too dark on the bottom, turn the **** over! You have a whole other side to work with.

I keep reading how folks complain that their ribs are constantly charred on the bottom...and I keep hearing Bubba's mother in my head, "Are ya crazy, or just plain stupid?"

To me, if you're charring the bottom, you're grilling, not smoking.

When I cook ribs on my Assassin, I like to run between 300 - 325 degrees to shorten the cook time.

No char, no muss, no fuss..........and the ribs turn out prime time. :-D

After reading Aaron Franklin's Meat Smoking Manifesto, 275 now for anything on the smoker.

His book may say 275 but that guy pushes 300 on almost everything he cooks, especially after having been in the pit rooms.

His book may say 275 but that guy pushes 300 on almost everything he cooks, especially after having been in the pit rooms.
I have a clip saved somewhere where he mentions 340 or something like that. He did work for a mueller. :heh:

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I have a clip saved somewhere where he mentions 340 or something like that. He did work for a mueller. :heh:

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Loaded pits act funny.

His given temps are all over the the map. Because its true. It all goes back to his early days at the trailer. Temps started as low as 225 because the giant mass of meat sapped the temp out of the cooker. As things got rolling they would settle in at 275. The early low temps help with smoke intake. 275 gets meat temps up evenly. This wasn't planned it was a fault of the process. Once things stabilized, and he was a little sleepy, he loaded up the fire box and went home to sleep for a few hours. The temps spiked. Searing of the bark and creating the unique flavor he has become known for. After a couple of hours (a couple is 2 right?) Temps drop and things coast home. By the time he gets back to the trailer temps were hoving around 200. Franklin hastily moved the almost finished large meats the the holding cabinets to finish making room for ribs, poultry and sausage just in time to be ready for service. That gave him a nice long hold.

Anyone else wanna hit this?

Turn the mother****er over. LOL

265 degrees is my target temp for ribs, hell pretty much everything except chicken.

I'm really just commenting to say I like your name Smoke Ninja.
I really like his (her?) avatar............ :tongue:

Interesting take on the membrane. I do remove mine but never really gave much thought to leaving them on and letting the heat "Melt" them off! Mac

Well, it doesn't melt, since it's not fat...it's made of elastin, not collagen. However, it does crisp up nice, and with a high temp cook it makes for a nice crunchy bark when the rub cooks on there.

280 dome temp for ribs all the time. Pork loins take 3 hours, 2 bare and 1 wrapped with red wine. Nice texture!

I try to do ribs around 250 deg, but I don't worry if it gets to 300 deg.

I cooked a rack of babybacks last night at 300-325. Naked for 2 hours, wrapped with water the last hour. Some of the best I have ever cooked. The water obviously did not add any flavor, but it sure seemed to help with a short braise for tenderizing purposes.

We cook our ribs at 275-300 at comps.

We only have two first places, so maybe we should start backing down :wink:

Then again, only about ten comps :mrgreen:

Seriously though, charring the bottoms can be a problem with ceramic cookers with HnF, even with indirect plate setter (unless you want to flip as suggested). That is pretty much the only time I could/would use a water pan on a smoker, it will help with the bottom charring.

My first thought is to find where your specific pit likes to run that gives you a nice, stable, clean fire. My WSM liked 275*, my LSG Cabinet likes 250* better. Once you figure that out, learn the amount of time it takes *whatever* at that temp. Now, maybe one day you don't have an hour per pound at 275* to cook that 8 pound pork butt. Bump the temp up to 300* and just know that it will take less time.

With my kettle, I start it and set the vents where they usually will provide 250 deg. Depending on the day, it might stabilize at 225 deg. Other days it settles at 300 deg. This is what I call "Letting the cooker decide". I then put the spareribs on and ignore them for about 4 hours if 225, 3 1/2 if 300. I then see if a toothpick goes in and out easily. Yes-they're done. No- have another beer, then check again. Repeat if needed.
Unless you are cooking baby backs. Which I don't.

Back