Hanging Ribs and Chicken (Lots of PRON)

smokemaster1

Full Fledged Farker
Decided to try hanging some meat like in a PBC. I've got a 30 gal drum that I made into a UDS last year. I drilled 4 holes and inserted 2 stainless steel rods. Hung 4 racks of BB's and 1 split chicken on meat hooks. Really impressed with the cook. I lit it like a PBC, waited 20 minutes, loaded the meat and closed the lid.
3 hrs for the chicken and 4 for the BB's. Definitely doing it again. Everyone was satisfied!!

That all looks great, and has further inspired me to do this when I get my vertical bandera up and running. Do you flip anything end to end during the cook?
Dave

That all looked great! What are the advantages to hanging? Is it simply to hold more meat in the cooker? I have never tried that method.

I've done that with ribs on my 18 WSM and was happy with the results. I think that the grease and liquids dripping off the meat on to the fire and vaporizing add another dimension of flavor.

DSC_6836-PP.JPG

Looks delicious.
I like to hang ribs in my Bandera.
Haven't done chicken halves in it yet. I'll have to give that a try.

+1 to hanging the meat. That's how we do it around here too. Yes, you can hang a lot of meat that way. Like HankB says, the drippings add a unique flavor to the cook. These drums are sure versatile. I use 3/8" re-bar to make my rods for hanging

Beautiful Grub...Your New PBC looks nothing like your Old UDS anymore...Nice makeover! :shock:

Last edited:
Back