Smoked hanging chicken over open fire

edmonds

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Steve
Thought I would cook another one for the yardbird ThrowDown

Old school, and my favorite way of cooking chicken.
Hanging by twine, the chicken slowly roates as it cooks, a natural rotisserie.
Chicken positioned next to fire (red oak) to roast/smoke at about 350F.
Baste every 20 minutes, total cook time about 4 hours (IT=165F).
Vegetables cooked in juices/drippings.
Serve chicken with Alabama white sauce, then enjoy the campfire.

Click here for video of smoking hanged chicken over fire (and instructions). Cool to watch chicken cooking. (Video from previous cook.)

P1040144.jpg

P1040152.jpg

P1040177.jpg

P1040186.jpg

P1040192.jpg

P1040193.jpg

P1040196.jpg

IMG-0937.jpg

4 hrs. for chicken is awfully long but I love everything else about this post

You're right, it is much longer than if you cooked it on the grill or in the oven.
This is slow cooked over an open fire. And it cooks only from one side as it slowly rotates, since it's not enclosed in a cooking chamber. The final product is hard to replicate with other cooking methods - smokey and juicy chicken that will make you say, "Oh my." Plus it's a nice way to spend an afternoon, maybe with a beer or two.

Looks great, I aint trying twine though, 1 beer 2 beer 3 beer chicken in the fire lol

I know what you mean. I'm not sure if butcher's twine would burn up from the heat, but probably not since it is used for roasting in 400F ovens. But I soaked the string in water before tying it up, and I periodically dribbled a spoon of liquid down the string.

how smoky is it?

Good question.
I would say light to moderate. Less than cooking low and slow in a wood-fueled smoker, and more than grilling on a charcoal grill with a few wood chunks.
But it's not just the smoke; it's the slow roasting that helps impart an unique flavor profile. Of course, the rub adds to the flavor also.

Back