HELP! La Caja China/rub concern in the 11th hour!!

Countryhb

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Got an 80lb pig going in the La Caja China tomorrow morning. Last 2 times I've done them, I've used a cuban mojo sauce. This time I decided to go with my more standard comp injection and was going to use my standard pork rub.

Suddenly it dawns on me tonight that my rub is sugar-heavy and may not do as well under the higher heat of the Cajun Microwave (burnt sugar).

Anyone have any experience/input? Too late to pick up a commercial rub, so I'd have to improvise.

Never cooked in one, so I can't offer any advice there, but if you think it might burn, maybe you could leave the sugar out of the rub, and towards the end maybe glaze with a syrup made from whatever sugar you normally use in your rub.

Just a thought.

Go with an Adobo seasoning

1/4 cup kosher
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon cumin
2-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder

Got an 80lb pig going in the La Caja China tomorrow morning. Last 2 times I've done them, I've used a cuban mojo sauce. This time I decided to go with my more standard comp injection and was going to use my standard pork rub.

Suddenly it dawns on me tonight that my rub is sugar-heavy and may not do as well under the higher heat of the Cajun Microwave (burnt sugar).

Anyone have any experience/input? Too late to pick up a commercial rub, so I'd have to improvise.

I've read that the scortch point of white sugar is 325 degrees and 350 degrees for turbinado. What are the temps in the box?

I've read that the scortch point of white sugar is 325 degrees and 350 degrees for turbinado. What are the temps in the box?

I should know that kinda chit?? :doh: I've actually never checked it. I'm going to throw the temp probe from the Maverick in it. It hasn't been a concern, as the thing is damn-near idiot proof. It's gotta be hot though. 80lber in 4+ hours.

Thanks for the scorch points! Gotta go look up brown sugar.

If you haven't rubbed it yet, just go with the injection only. If you haven't injected it yet, go with the mojo again. The adobo is a great suggestion as a rub if you stick to the Cuban style.

Thanks for all the input. I punted out of the endzone :) I used my rub and said "to hell with it...gotta live and learn". It burnt. But it was still FANTASTIC. Had a handful of crispy lovers who went to town on it! The pig was amazing with the injection!!

I always leave the rub out of doing whole hogs cuz it'll give you a cushion. Like if you're behind schedule and you need to crank your pit up, you'll not need to worry about burning. I like the last second molasses and rub glaze if you want to go that route. If you hit it the last hour of the cook it'll come out pretty barky

Back