Meat Inspections, start times??

Smokin Hoggz

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Bill
Just curious, because I know the times can vary from contest to contest and rep to rep. My feeling is they should start around 8-9AM on the day before turn-ins. thoughts???

KCBS meat inspections guide states...
"The meat inspector should be on site the morning before the contest (normally Friday). We recommend 9:00 AM but NOT LATER than 11:00 AM. They should record the teams that have been inspected and insure all meats from all teams are included."

Of the 7 cops we have attended, I would say inspection started by 10:00. We usually don't get there before that. And when we do get there around 10:00 or later, they have already begun.

wallace

Thanks all!!! I was just asking cause the contest I'm going to this weekend, we were told meat inspection was going to start at noon time......... considering teams can arrive the day before inspections, the reps should be on site the morning of inspections!!!!

At NEBS contests... 2-5 seems more common

But isn't that usually on Friday for Sunday turn ins?

Most contests I go to it seems someone is usually ready to inspect shortly after I get there and more often than not before I'm completely setup.

Thanks all!!! I was just asking cause the contest I'm going to this weekend, we were told meat inspection was going to start at noon time......... considering teams can arrive the day before inspections, the reps should be on site the morning of inspections!!!!

Hey Bill, noontime? Really? Are the reps required to do the inspection? At monadnock I was inspected by someone else. I Told a new guy on our team he could probably start injecting by 930. Hope this changes.

Mike Wagner
Quittin' Time! BBQ

I saw this too though it was a little on the late side.

Meat inspection at contests I supervise begins promptly at 8AM on Friday (never earlier).

Depending on the number of inspectors working and team readiness it may take a few minutes to get to everybody, but we do a fair job of getting each team taken care of within about 15 minutes of their request to have their meat checked.

Kind of off topic, but we did an IBCA event in CA in 2008 where there were no reps to inspect meat. One of the competitors took it upon themselves to do the meat inspection of all teams.

Everyone was 100% cool with it.

Meat Inspectio Responsibility

The meat inspection is not the responsibility of the KCBS Contest Representative...

A meat inspector is to be assigned by the comp organizer, with times for inspection to be set by the competition organizer...

This meat inspector is to report back to the organizer or Reps, but that is not specified in the rules...

That is a little late, especially if there are a lot of teams to go through. I would share this feedback directly with the organizer, and/or fill out a contest evaluation. Hopefully it gets better for you next year.

7) All competition meats shall be inspected by the Official
Meat Inspector during the times established by the contest
organizer but not prior to the day before judging. Once the
competition meat has been inspected, it shall not leave the​
contest site.

He said Official Meat Inspector he he he
Ed

The meat inspection is not the responsibility of the KCBS Contest Representative...

A meat inspector is to be assigned by the comp organizer, with times for inspection to be set by the competition organizer...

This meat inspector is to report back to the organizer or Reps, but that is not specified in the rules...

Around here in the Northeast the KCBS reps are the ones who have been doing all the meat inpections.

Back