Kirkland Professional Briquettes

LloydQ

is One Chatty Farker
Evening, Brethren. Have any of you had the misfortune of purchasing this absolutely horrid product?
I was doing a simple wing cook on the kettle last night and thought I would give it a try. OMG, it was nightmarish!!!
I have never seen such thick, vile smoke from 1 little chimney of briquettes. I had to turn the 36" floor fan on to breathe. And after the fog lifted , flames were shooting out of the chimney to the point that I worried about the paint peeling off my 8' ceiling.
Tomorrow is trash day. I know the first thing going to the curb.
Lest you think I am exaggerating:
The flames were at least a foot higher before that picture.

Attachments

• 20231004_183813.jpg
    20231004_183813.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 290
  • 20231004_184613.jpg
    20231004_184613.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 292
I have a couple bags in the garage waiting their turn. How did it grill? You're throwing it out because of too much igniter smoke and it burns too hot? I'm more concerned with the briquette size.

I have a couple bags in the garage waiting their turn. How did it grill? You're throwing it out because of too much igniter smoke and it burns too hot? I'm more concerned with the briquette size.

It seemed as though a lot of the thermal energy was lost during the raging fire. Barely lasted long enough to cook a batch of wings. Would be a disaster to try a low and slow cook.
I just hope that Costco does not permanently replace Kingsford Professional with this garbage.

The cleanest burning briqs I've used are from Jealous Devil....almost no smoke on start up, clean long lasting burn.

Gotta chime in with a thumbs up on the Jealous Devil XL briquettes. Just did a 15 hour smoke last weekend with the JD, which burned clean with minimal ash. After all the butts and loins came off I needed another couple of hours of smoke for some hot dogs, so I added a couple of dozen Embers briquettes I had from my last cook to the Limo Jr. chute. The chemical stink that billowed out was awful. I left the chute open until that burned off, and tossed the remainder of the Embers bag in the trash.

I guess charcoal is like everything else. You typically get what you pay for. Going forward I'll never smoke with anything that has fillers or additives. Jealous Devil will be first choice if available.

Yeah, I gave it a shot a couple of months ago when it showed up. Probably a one off for me. I mostly use briquettes for straight forward grilling or starting the SM Pit. That means hot dogs on the Weber or similar.

Still, was not impressed. Lit easily, burned hot and fast. Not great in any other way.

Being cheap...:wink:... I would have gone 50/50 in the chimney for starting the pile of good charcoal for my long smokes. I just hate throwing $ away.

Edit: I FOUND a partial bag of matchlight a few weeks ago (for the Orion grill I have and don't use) so I used it for a Kamado burnout so I can cook on it with regular Kingsford.

Last edited:
Being cheap...:wink:... I would have gone 50/50 in the chimney for starting the pile of good charcoal for my long smokes. I just hate throwing $ away.

Edit: I FOUND a partial bag of matchlight a few weeks ago (for the Orion grill I have and don't use) so I used it for a Kamado burnout so I can cook on it with regular Kingsford.

Same here.
I had two bags of Cowboy Onion & Garlic briquettes than had grown moldy
after sitting unused for about a year.
They burned nicely in the firepit.

Back