I'm tired of burning myself

bbqgeekess

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
.. as a cook and bbq'er we all get burnt.. I got like three burns in the past month. What's your record? LOL

Wow. I honestly never thought to count.

The only one that really comes to mind was stepping on the hot coal barefoot.

I placed my hand on the top open edge of a firebox that was in full swing! Not sure why, just was bending down to see what it needed!

My favorite was not BBQ, but as a pizza cook. Busy Friday night so we got three of us handling the brick oven, one rotating and pulling cooked pizza's and the other two making up the pies to go in the oven. Guy unloading opened the stainless steel door and yanked a couple as we were ready to load two each. First guy put his two in, I put one in and while I was putting the second in, the first guy closed the oven. Burned just below the elbow and right above the wrist. Dropped the pizza I had, but it landed ok in the oven...

LOL...can't honestly remember when i burnt myself last BBQ'n ...a few years maybe?

:laugh: What the heck are you burning yourself on?

Stepping on hot coals barefoot a couple of times.

Rotisserie gloves help a lot with that.

mZp9Aeqe4qE3eUfD-E01IyQ.jpg

But I still burn myself from time to time, usually on the forearm while reaching for something.

My worst burn was in a kitchen I was working in - grabbed a 425 degree sheet pan that was just got pulled from the oven by somebody else. I'll never forget seeing the steam/smoke/whatever it was coming through my fingers the smell. That chit hurt!

LOL...can't honestly remember when i burnt myself last BBQ'n ...a few years maybe?

:laugh: What the heck are you burning yourself on?

Well today I was sitting a fire brick on the base of the Mini WSM so the wind wouldn't blow it over and bumped my thumb on the kettle--sizzle.

As long as the pizza was okay, then everything would have been fine! lol

Dropped the pizza I had, but it landed ok in the oven...[/QUOTE]

Not BBQ-ing today but burned myself earlier while seasoning a new set of cast iron cookware...not sure why I decided to bypass the insulated gloves and grab a 10" skillet with a dish towel. When I felt the heat I nearly dropped it...so I went to stabilize it with my other hand. That thing had just come out of a 400 deg oven about 10 minutes prior! :oops:

Man those things sure can hold temp...

Since my FEC looks more like a refrigerator it took me a couple cooks to figure out that the shelves inside are not cold but pretty dang hot!

I get burnt waaay more going in and out of my oven than I do the smoker. I always have gloves on when working with the smoker.

I burnt myself a week or so ago, taking pictures of a pre-heated 450F cast iron dutch oven, for my bread baking process I shared on the Fresh Loaf, lol.

disfiguring burns, or just hot spots?

I was one cook in a kitchen that kicked out 125 to 150 covers a night, I burned my self 3 to 4 times an hour back then. Now, maybe once or twice a month I will redden some skin.

I had a hot coal come out of the bottom vent before and got in between by big and second toes. took me like 10-15 seconds to get it out. Man that hurt! No more grilling barefoot for me after that!

disfiguring burns, or just hot spots?

I was one cook in a kitchen that kicked out 125 to 150 covers a night, I burned my self 3 to 4 times an hour back then. Now, maybe once or twice a month I will redden some skin.

Sometimes redden skin, blisters, sometimes get a scar that doesn't fade for 2 years. Sometimes left with a white wrinkly scar after years--not all that common for me, a couple.

How many of you have been burned by coals falling out of the chimney starter when you pour them in? I wear flip flops and it has happened to me more than once lol.

How many of you have been burned by coals falling out of the chimney starter when you pour them in? I wear flip flops and it has happened to me more than once lol.
Guilty, except I was barefoot.

I do tend to forget the daisy wheels on a weber get hot. Lucky years of ninja training have turned my hands like stone. Haven't had a blister in about a decade.

Not very often..lol

It's either this

or this. I find lighting the basket directly sooooo much simpler.

Back