THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Meat Sauce for Pasta?

• Mama's Recipe is to Die For...

Votes: 27 65.9%
  • I Buy Premade, Newman's Own Rules..

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • I melt Butter over the Noodles and call it a Day..

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Your Supposed to Sauce Pasta?

Votes: 2 4.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Not quite BBQ, but... I love making my own pasta sauce, but I seldom have time to put it together. Wife and kids don't really like my style of sauce either, so we just buy sauce. I know, I'm ashamed.

Mike

It's BBQ When You Smoke The Ingredients..
attachment.php

I make my own sauce for lasagna, and hope to have leftovers for the freezer for another time. Your pic there gives me some good ideas.

You didn't have an option for both :-D

I make my own and freeze the extra, but if i run out i will use store bought.

Nothin like Mom's sauce. The odd ingredient is shredded carrots :-D. Nice "smoked ingredients" N8! Do the same with salsas. Smoke makes everything better.

Paul

Nate, Your sauce looks amazing, can you share the recipe? or is it "top secret"?
I use this very simple sauce, if you have sausage, use that instead of beef, or as the ground beef is browning I add the makings of breakfast sausage to it, sage, marjoram,salt, pepper, garlic...add onions...
add rest of ingredients, it will look very chunky, I squeeze and mash the tomatoes, and had the can of mushrooms w/ the water...simmer for 1/2 hour, adjust seasonings and consistancy...(add more water if you want)...
I use to doctor up bottle sauces, but we found out my wife is allergic to MSG, so had to stop using it...

1 pound lean ground beef
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 (14.5 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
1 tablespoon dried basil
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 (4.5 ounce) can mushrooms,

carrots are used to sweeten, viadlia onions can also..

the recipe I posted can also have meat added.. ... brown up a load of ground beef and pork and throw it into the sauce(drippings and all) and simmer it for about 30-45 minutes... it thickens up and the sauce and it becomes a meal. :) Nothing like home made, and its as fast as boiling the pasta.

Oh.. i'd be haunted by deceased italians with the same last name as mine if I went store bought.

My very first post, and it's not about 'que-please, don't kick me outa here!

I've been making my own pasta sauce for 15 years or more, nothing compares to homemade (at least my homemade!) Last time I used store-bought, which was actually free in a goodie-bag, I doctored it up anyway.

I look for the thickest sauce on sale, most of the time it's Prego or Francesco Rinaldi then brown our ground beef, season the chit out of it and let it simmer for while.

I start w/ Prego, then add two kinds of meat and a bunch of spices. It's good, but not authentic or great. We don't eat pasta that often, though.

They give Saucywenches a break around here. Did'nt know the carrots were for sweetening. Thanks chef

Paul

Recipe For The Sauce I'm Simmering Right Now...
3lbs. Lean Hamburger, Smoked With Hickory Wood For 2 hours
1lb Hot Italian Sausage, Smoked as above
1 each, Green, Yellow, and Red Bell Pepper, drizzled w/ Olive Oil and Smoked
1 Fist Sized Red Onion, Skint and again Drizzled w/ Olive Oil and Smoked
1 Head of Garlic, Skint, Drizzled w/ Olive Oil and Smoked
2 cups Chicken or Beef Broth
2- 28 oz. Cans Crushed Tomatoes
1- 28oz. Can Tomato Sauce
1- 6oz. Can Tomato Paste
1/4 cup Water
1/4 cup Worchestershire Sauce
1/8 cup Texas Pete Hot Sauce
1/2 cup Basil Pesto
2 TableSpoons Italian Seasoning
2 TableSpoons Dried Oregano
1 TableSpoon Chinese 5-Spice
Salt and Black Pepper to taste
Rough Chop the Peppers, Garlic and Onion after Smoking and Throw all Ingredients into a Large Pot on Medium Heat
Once the Pot Starts Simmering cut the heat back to Medium Low and let simmer for 4 hours uncovered, stirring occasionally.
Skim off any grease that surfaces.
Once Done Stir in 1/2 cup of Cream or Half and Half.
Apply to Cooked Pasta and before you know it, it's Nappy Time...:biggrin:

Last edited:
Back