MY first tri-tip (i think)pron

FatDaddy

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Well was at walmart yesterday and came across a 3.5# sirloin tip roast. after racking my brain through the aisles it clicked that this had been the elusive tri tip seen here. I went back and picked one up. they were 4.91 dollars a pound. kinda steep but figured what the hell.

I read some threads and settled on seasoning with kosher salt, fresh cracked pepper, garlic powder, and parsley. which i read was true santa maria style.

I fired up the kettle indirect at about 300* tossed it on and threw on some jap/cheese deer sausage and we made up some pico de gallo earlier in the day.
i took it to 145* i have to say i wasnt that impressed. maybe i was expecting more. it seemed to be a little chewy. i cut against the grains even though u cant see that in the pic due to not catching the change in grain on that slice.
flavor was good though. could have used more seasoning though.
any thoughts on improvement would be appreciated.

100_1692.jpg

100_1695.jpg

100_1697.jpg

100_1698.jpg

100_1701.jpg

it looked like a triangle more so in the package. once i took it out it was round lol.. it said Sirloin tip roast. and after searching some threads here that was mentioned as being the same cut. ill stick with briskets. or chucks

Find a good butcher and tell them you want IMPS id#182 or #183. This will get you a tri-tip. (The 183 is trimmed)

FatDad if you could of made it out to the Bash you would have seen what Tri-tip is about. Maybey next time.

Yep... Like the others said.. that weren't no tri-tip. A tri-tip really can't be much over 2 or 2.5 pounds. Most are 1.5 - 2.0.

Keep trying though... when you get one you will have a new favorite beef cut!!!

Yep... Like the others said.. that weren't no tri-tip. A tri-tip really can't be much over 2 or 2.5 pounds. Most are 1.5 - 2.0.

Keep trying though... when you get one you will have a new favorite beef cut!!!

So then reading the sirloin tip roast is NOT the same as a tri-tip. or maybe this one was uncut possibly? and the tri tip was part of this particular cut??

You know... I think you are right... I am not a butcher but I think that triangular shaped piece on the right in the second picture is a tri-tip. I don't remember where but I saw a picture of the sirloin roast just like that and they described the three parts.

you might have gotten a silver tip. More of a roast beef. I take mine to 125 and let rest.

you might have gotten a silver tip. More of a roast beef. I take mine to 125 and let rest.
naw it wasnt a silver tip. im thinking like gator that it is part of this one that is just uncut. if u look at the first pic u can see 3 distinct areas of the cut. that can be cut into thirds. lookin around on google dont find much but saw something about the sirloin knuckle that it is cut from. wonder if they just package them this way instead of cutting them up. i should have cut this one up into the thirds. the two ends look similar to the cut yall are refering to.

Those tacos look good to me!! Great minds think alike :rolleyes:

FatDaddy, when you find the elusive tri tip, you will love it. I picked one up at Trader Joes yesterday, seasoned it Santa Maria style and cooked on the Performer. It was farkin fantastic! Keep searching...they are worth it.

Back