Wood floor for smoke?

A

akayaker

I know i'm probably gonna catch hell for this but...

I have a possible resource for scrap wood floor. Oak, cherry and possibly some others. I'm not talking about finished floor just scraps of unlaid floor.

Thoughts?

OK, let me have it.

Actually, as long as it hasn't been treated with any chemicals or joined with any glues etc............it's okay to use. Go for it!!

I use untreated oak pallet wood. I know it's untreated cause it's from a family owned lumber mill and I've known them my whole life.

I'm with Bob - with no binders, treatments, etc. what the heck!

A lot of the lump charcoal is made of hardwood floor scraps. I have seen several pieces that had the tongue and groove on them. Absolutely flooring is good to use as long as like you said it had no chemicals on it.

Some woods, oak being one, may have been treated with chemicals when the wood was being dried for use as flooring. It would be worth checking out those particular woods with a phone call to the mill.

Rancher Charcoal is ALL wood flooring scraps. About as crappy as you can get (IMO).
If you DO NOT know what has happened to that wood BEFORE it was put down, I would NOT use it.
Wood is too cheap to take a chance on my families health!!!

Rancher Charcoal is ALL wood flooring scraps. About as crappy as you can get (IMO).
If you DO NOT know what has happened to that wood BEFORE it was put down, I would NOT use it.
Wood is too cheap to take a chance on my families health!!!

Im sure RANCHER uses wood that has not been treated. I love there briquet...think it is an excellent product. Far better than most briquetes (IMO)

I was a flooring contractor for about 10 years. I bought a tractor trailer load of oak flooring a month. I am very familiar with the milling process.

I used the scrap in my egg for years. I am 100% sure flooring oak is not treated.

Use it with confidence...

Last edited:
If a sawmill uses a chemical to prevent stain of the wood before drying most of the time it is a chemical called StaBrite. An easy way to tell if wood has been treated with StaBrite is to let the wood dry out in the elements. If it turns color (usually bluish gray) it has not been treated or dipped if you will in the chemical. If after the wood dries out in the elements it still has it's natural color it has been treated. Because of the EPA regs nowadays most mills use a biodegradable antistain agent. Not all but most do.
In other words if you have a source for some free smoking wood, get it and leave it outside for a week or so. If it turns gray/blue cook away. If it does not change color burn it in your fireplace.

Rancher Charcoal is ALL wood flooring scraps.
Actually, Cowboy is all flooring scraps.
The only thing you might find with flooring scraps is that they are kiln dried, and likely will not burn as long as air dried wood straight from the tree.

I was a flooring contractor for about 10 years. I bought a tractor trailer load of oak flooring a month. I am very familiar with the milling process.

I used the scrap in my egg for years. I am 100% sure flooring oak is not treated.

Use it with confidence...

Jeff is right about conventional oak flooring; however, some oak flooring is chemically treated for stability and, although it is unlikely that the flooring you are talking about is, since you don't know the source as he does, it is worth checking out.

From woodflooringonline.com

"Acrylic Impregnated Wood is More Stable

Acrylic impregnation marries the properties of wood with the plastic technology developed in the early 50's. Using the absorption ability of wood, two chemicals in solution are forced into the dry wood fibers completely saturating the wood. An outside force is then used to combine the two chemicals (polymerize) into solid acrylic (plastic). This chemical reaction takes place throughout the thickness of the wood. The resulting wood floor product has increased density, hardness, ( see HARDNESS Table of Wood Floor Species ) and wear resistance; and coloration can be inserted uniformly through the thickness of the wood. The acrylic fills the fibers and deters moisture absorption, thereby providing increased dimensional stability. These floors do not require "refinishing," in the pure sense of the word, since the acrylic finish is throughout the thickness. Surface treatment performed occasionally will reveal a brand new floor!

Up to this point the properties discussed have pertained only to solid oak floors, one piece of wood through its thickness. Hold on, because now we're going to take those properties and use them as we change direction entirely."

Actually, Cowboy is all flooring scraps.
The only thing you might find with flooring scraps is that they are kiln dried, and likely will not burn as long as air dried wood straight from the tree.

Thanks for the info...I found some 20# Cowboy on sale for $5...
I may pass now.

Jeff is right about conventional oak flooring; however, some oak flooring is chemically treated for stability and, although it is unlikely that the flooring you are talking about is, since you don't know the source as he does, it is worth checking out.

From woodflooringonline.com

"Acrylic Impregnated Wood is More Stable

Acrylic impregnation marries the properties of wood with the plastic technology developed in the early 50's. Using the absorption ability of wood, two chemicals in solution are forced into the dry wood fibers completely saturating the wood. An outside force is then used to combine the two chemicals (polymerize) into solid acrylic (plastic). This chemical reaction takes place throughout the thickness of the wood. The resulting wood floor product has increased density, hardness, ( see HARDNESS Table of Wood Floor Species ) and wear resistance; and coloration can be inserted uniformly through the thickness of the wood. The acrylic fills the fibers and deters moisture absorption, thereby providing increased dimensional stability. These floors do not require "refinishing," in the pure sense of the word, since the acrylic finish is throughout the thickness. Surface treatment performed occasionally will reveal a brand new floor!

Up to this point the properties discussed have pertained only to solid oak floors, one piece of wood through its thickness. Hold on, because now we're going to take those properties and use them as we change direction entirely."

That is prefinished flooring, a completely different animal...

Yes, it is KD unfinished flooring that I am talking about...

Back