Shirley making a 2,600 mile Journey!

Seefyre

Take a breath!

Batch Image
Reaction score
She was loaded up last week so I'm hoping to see her in the Northwest in the coming days.

Thanks to all the SF owners for keeping the pump primed for me with their cooks and pictures!

What was everyone's experience for seasoning and paint curing?

Attachments

• IMG959084.jpg
    IMG959084.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 332
It may be perfectly fine but I am not going to take that chance. My plan is to keep it under 250 for 2-3 hours and then cook something hot and fast.

^^^^^^^^ what pjtexas1.... and Will has a good plan to wipe it down or spray it.... your cooker will come up to temp very quick..... do not initially over fire it.... and you will be good........ hope it hurries and gets there

what is paint curing?

Most high heat paint needs to be "cured" to set the paint to the steel or primer. Typically you should run a cooker with fresh paint at around 225 - 250 for 2-4 hours to cure the paint. To high of a heat at first and you take a chance of the paint peeling or cracking (not bonding). If done right the paint on a pit will last a very long time.

I just built a small fire a burned it all morning. Never added a oil or anything to the inside since there will be plenty of smoke and meat juices inside real quick. Just keep the fire small. The next day I lit it up again and did the same thing and it seemed to work just fine. My paint of the firebox is all rusted after 6 months but it sits outside in the weather and I build some big fires :)...

Most high heat paint needs to be "cured" to set the paint to the steel or primer. Typically you should run a cooker with fresh paint at around 225 - 250 for 2-4 hours to cure the paint. To high of a heat at first and you take a chance of the paint peeling or cracking (not bonding). If done right the paint on a pit will last a very long time.

oh i was completely unaware of that lol...well i did that just to season the inside so im good i guess

Seefyre- Looks like it's almost time to change the Shirley Fabrication on order , to SF 24X50 Arrived. Nice one BTW.

We do the wipe down or spray 225-250 for 2-3 hours using a wood coal mix.

Enjoy that cooker!!!!!!

Back