Just sold my gas grill

moocow

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I just sold my Charbroil stainless steel gas grill on craigslist. :-D I have been around here long enough I just can't bring myself to use gas any more. I want to get a Weber 22.5" one touch gold blue edition. Anything I should know or any tricks I should learn? I have never had/used one before.

Congrats!

Read whatever you can here and on the Virtual Weber Bullet forum. There's really two (maybe three) basic techniques. Direct (lit charcoal across the whole grill), indirect (two pile of charcoal on opposite sides) and zoned (which is really a variation on indirect and direct). With zoned you can create a hot zone (direct) and a cool zone (indirect) and move meats between them to control cooking time, searing, etc. You can even use a zoned approach with a water pan to do low and slow.

Direct is for good burgers, brats, etc. where you are grilling and need the whole grill. indirect can be used for roasts, turkeys, etc. and zoned is great for steaks where you want a very hot area to get a nice sear and a lower heat area to finish the steaks. I also use a zoned approach for chicken breasts, burgers etc. when I am cooking smaller amounts.

I just sold my Charbroil stainless steel gas grill on craigslist. :-D I have been around here long enough I just can't bring myself to use gas any more. I want to get a Weber 22.5" one touch gold blue edition. Anything I should know or any tricks I should learn? I have never had/used one before.

Here, here my good man, your palate has improved to your benefit.
Congratulations! :eusa_clap
You should build two or three UDSers as well, if you haven't caught that bug yet, look out.

Another tip, when cooking direct don't rake your coals level, leave them higher towards the back of the kettle tapering off to no coals at the front, that way you will have a hot zone at the back, medium in the middle and "cool" at the front.

Also organizing the zones in this way means you're not reaching over hot coals to get to the food at the back.

Congrats!

Read whatever you can here and on the Virtual Weber Bullet forum. There's really two (maybe three) basic techniques. Direct (lit charcoal across the whole grill), indirect (two pile of charcoal on opposite sides) and zoned (which is really a variation on indirect and direct). .
Thought we had rules about sending folks away to another forum!:biggrin:

I dont think I would ever sell my gasser,it came in handy the other day to keep food warm

If i sold mine i would have to find a new storage place for my charcoal accessories.

I just ordered one of those little table top black Weber gas grills. That way if I am in a huge hurry and just want to grill a couple of hot dogs or burgers, I dont have to fire up any of my big barbeques. Cooking outdoors no matter what your using, always beats cooking inside. I keep rescuing old Weber kettles off of craigslist. I have 3 that I use and I have given a couple to friends in need. I love weber products and their customer service is amazing. Several times, I have called to order parts and they will send them free of charge. I also use the 3 zone method in the Webers. I pile the coals on one side sloping down towards the middle for general grilling. For indirect cooking/smoking, if you are doing ribs, pork butt or brisket, place a drip pan in the center with the coals piled on both sides. You can add wood chips or chunks to the coals to get your smoke.
Happy grilling!

Thought we had rules about sending folks away to another forum!:biggrin:

From our rules...

References within the forum to obvious forums of authority are allowed when referring to specific questions/requirements. (i.e. Virtual Weber Bullet, FoodTV, etc. ).

So there! :tongue:

...also get a Weber Chimney starter...

Weber_chimney.jpg

You'll thank me!!! :icon_shock1:

I want to get a Weber 22.5" one touch gold blue edition.

I have a blue platinum ... but it's not for sale. Well, let me rephrase that - It's not for sale cheap - everything has a price.

Here, here my good man, your palate has improved to your benefit.
Congratulations! :eusa_clap
You should build two or three UDSers as well, if you haven't caught that bug yet, look out.

Started out small with a MUDS this spring. I love that thing, I keep it on my front porch. i am sure the neighbors love it. That's what got me headed in the way of a weber!

Attachments

• IMGP2478.jpg
    IMGP2478.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 103
I still have my coleman road trip grill to get me by in a pinch.

I end up steaming a lot of veggies on mine.....or sliced taters w/ butter and seasoning (wrapped up in a foil pouch).

Congrats on getting rid of the storage unit!!!!

...also get a Weber Chimney starter...

Weber_chimney.jpg

You'll thank me!!! :icon_shock1:
Or just use your weed burnner...
I end up steaming a lot of veggies on mine.....or sliced taters w/ butter and seasoning (wrapped up in a foil pouch).
Thought for sure you were going to say Bacon...

Ive been doing the taters on the grill for 25 years, along with corn on the cob just make sure you soak the corn for a while, 4 hours or so before you grill it

Back