Brisket and Fatty Chili - totally SFW Pr0n

peeps

somebody shut me the fark up.
A friend has a small chili cook-off every year. I think it's rigged since he wins 2 out of 3 years despite his chili last year tasting as my wife described as "like that Chef Boyardee crap".

Anyways, I used my same recipe as last year but instead of cubed and pan seared chuck and a pound of pork sausage, I used brisket and a fatty.

Here are the players...

3 green bell peppers
1 onion
1 can rotel
2 cans petite diced tomoatos
garlic
2 tsp oregano
1/2 cup chili powder
2-3 lbs of brisket
1 lb fatty
as much sriracha as you like (not pictured)

Fatty - nicely imprinted from vacuum sealing last weekend

Brisket - still a bit frozen after vacuum packing last weekend

Brisket thrown in the crock pot mixed with the chopped up peppers, onions, and fatty...

Everything mixed prior to heating...

After heating about 4 hours...from here it will sit in the fridge overnight to really let the flavors meld together and will reheat before the cook-off time...

I got that part, I just thought you maybe forgot the beans.

I'm just busting your, well I guess beans. I know it's Texas thing.

Still looks great.

I got that part, I just thought you maybe forgot the beans.

I'm just busting your, well I guess beans. I know it's Texas thing.

Still looks great.
Nope...the recipe I used originally for my recipe called for beans, but I forgave the creator for his mis-step when I tasted the ingredient combo, but I still can't put beans in chili...

Do you have a money shot?
I'm not eating it tonight, so I never put it in a bowl. I'll try to take one tomorrow at the cook-off...

Unless you are meaning money shot as in a pic of my body's physical reaction when I saw and tasted it after it was heated...I didn't post that one as it's NSFW :becky:

If I saw beans in there, I would have had to bring a can of whoop-ass out to Denton this morning. Chili looks great peeps.

Two words, BTW... BLIND TASTING!

It is a blind tasting, so not sure how he manages his wins.

I didn't mind losing last year. It meant more people ate his crappy chili and I had plenty of leftovers to take home...that was wining enough for me ;)

That looks great I cast my vote for you I prefer beans in mine- use dark red kindney, chilli beans, black beans and a light colored bean Comes out good Next time I want to try beer and a cup of coffee in it

The bean vs no bean chili debate is almost as contentious as real wood versus pellets versus charcoal.

Chili looks awesome though. I made a big batch with leftover point a week ago. May have to fiere some of it up from the freezer today while I watch my Noles.

I also enterd a chilli cok of . Came in third . But the bartender was second and the owner was first . And i also was a no bean chilli . Got a good friend in san antonio tx . If you want beans in your chilli YOU PUT THEM IN . That is when he is not looking .

Bean's or no beans...geesh. This debate was settled long ago. Maybe all the "no beans" folks need a little refresher, if I may. "beans, beans the musical fruit, the more you eat, (stop me if you've heard this) the more you.....................so eat beans with EVERY meal." Pretty sure that settles it:bow:

I would say tonight was a success. I managed 6th out of 7 which means I get half a crock pot of my chili to take home!!!! The one that won was decent. Plain, but with some heat, not too acidic tasting. 4 of the 7 tasted like bad soupy marinara with beans but 2 of those went for 2nd and 3rd. One was decent but too much worchestershire.

I thought briefly about offering to judge next year to hopefully sway the preferred flavor profile, but then I realized I would be forced to taste a handful of crappy examples and then have no good chili to fall back on when it was time to eat.

Back