What "else" do you put on a Pulled Pork Sandwich?? (Pics)

Jason TQ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
So I cooked my first shoulder (picnic) on my new WSM. Came out great.

But more importantly I want to know what else you all put on your pulled pork sandwich. I love mine like all of you with just some sauce, but other times I change it up.

After eating some of the chunks and a little pulled with sauce I was still hungry. So made kind of a patty melt with wheat bread. Grabbed whatever was in the fridge at the time, so american cheese, cut up some homemade pickles from last years garden, and some russian dressing I made for a pastrami I did earlier this week. Few pickles on the side too.

This one was a new one for me. But other things I like (not necessarily all together) are caramelized onions, mayo, pepperjack cheese, sauteed mushrooms, crushed potato chips, etc.

So let me know what non traditional stuff you put on you pp sandwich. I know i'm not the only one and my list may be quite tame compared to others.

IMG_1227.jpg

Here is my first plate.
IMG_1226.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the traditional coleslaw and will make different coleslaw's to suit my mood at the time sometimes a very mustard heavy slaw or other times a mayonnaise based slaw.

Pickles are always great on pulled pork sandwiches and I like both sweet or dill.

I have an aversion to American cheese so I'll never use it on anything other cheeses are like a nice apple wood smoked cheddar are perfectly acceptable on the sammies.

take the left-overs, brown them in a pan and have crispy port tacos...

I like homemade spicy dill pickles on pork.

Vinegar based Pineapple Coleslaw

Vinegar based Pineapple Coleslaw

This is the pineapple coleslaw Bigmista refering to;

Pineapple Coleslaw

1 head cabbage, shredded
1 can pineapple chunks (SAVE THE JUICE)
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp blackpepper
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp brown sugar

Put the cabbage in a bowl. Add the pineapple (I like to give it a rough chop first). Mix the vinegar with 1/4 cup of the pineapple juice. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Pour over the cabbage and pineapple. Toss. Eat.

It is a great slaw recipe!

H-m-m? Does plain white bread count? I'm just about the meat.

Either just sauce, or sauce & cole slaw. Pickles and onions are good on a pulled pork sandwich too.

For a bbq sandwich (and I call it bbq not pulled pork) I just like a cheap white bun, bbq with a bit of salt and vinegar based sauce, a touch of semi-sweet slaw on top. Anything else and I typically wrinkle my nose...just before passing on it.

I would have to agree with Slaw and a little sauce. Also super good on homemade pizza.

When it's leftovers, I put mine on a bun and put some sharp cheddar on the meat then put it under the broiler to melt the cheese. Then on top of the cheese I like to add tomato, pickle, jalapeno, and sauteed spinach. Oh and then some ranch dressing and red pepper flakes on the top bun. When it's the first go round, just CWB's and jalapenos.

When it's leftovers, I put mine on a bun and put some sharp cheddar on the meat then put it under the broiler to melt the cheese. Then on top of the cheese I like to add tomato, pickle, jalapeno, and sauteed spinach. Oh and then some ranch dressing and red pepper flakes on the top bun. When it's the first go round, just CWB's and jalapenos.

Damn sauteed spinach sounds good. Thanks for the idea.

Back