KCBS to Hide Team Bios Soon

Jeff_in_KC

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Got my March Bullsheet today and I'm reading where the KCBS will soon hide the team bios section to make it viewable to only members. While I don't feel real strongly about this, I do think it's significantly self-defeating. What if you went to your favorite football team's Web site and they hid the rosters and player bios from you? What if you went to the NASCAR site and couldn't read the driver bios unless you were a driver yourself? What fun would that be? Not saying many of our teams are as popular as a NASCAR driver but some are well-known through books and the Food Network. Why not let the public see their team bios? If the public goes to find out more about Ray because they've seen his books in Barnes & Noble, they're going to see just how wide-spread and popular this sport is. If potential sponsors take a look, they'll see just how popular this sport has become and maybe be more likely to support a team or a contest. ESPECIALLY when they see us teams putting our own sponsor names up there in our bios. It legitimizes claims they might be hearing from people wanting them to become a sponsor. Maybe someone from the general public is visiting a contest and meets some nice people when visiting with the teams... they go to find out more about them on the KCBS site and damn it, they can't get to the info! I just think it's wrong to hide team bios from the public. We've all put time and effort into promoting the sport. Why hide the sheer numbers that speak of our successes? Thoughts?

Last edited:
I think posting bios should be for members in good standing only, but not access to view bios. I also think that you should be a KCBS member if you compete in a KCBS contest.

Jeff/Todd - you both make valid points and I agree fully..

I think the biggest loss is for the avg. team that is proud of their involvement and wants to share their enthusiam and team accomplishments with a co-worker, friend or family member etc.

I'll continue to hold my $35 membership fee renewal until I see KCBS consistently demonstrate they have the best interests of the general membership at the forefront.

Absolutely, Todd! You don't get to post a bio unless you're a member, I agree with you and with KCBS on that. Makes total sense. But the public should still get to view those bios, regardless.... for all the reasons I stated AND what Vinny said... so their friends, family and neighbors can see them.

KCBS is a non-profit organization and as such if they are a tax exempt organization through the IRS either a 501(c)3 or a 501(c)7 there are potential issues relating to web sites and who has access to which parts of your web site, i.e. members only, general public, etc.

Having just finished dealing with the IRS over the past 11 months getting our Barbecue Association a tax exempt status, some of the issues that the IRS can raise is that the web site is more of a for profit venture as opposed to something set up purely for the benefit of associations members.

Don't know if this is the case in this particular instance with KCBS but it was something I encountered in our dealings with the government (try to remember their here to help LOL).

I have not read the article and the BOD did discuss removing non members. An e-mail is being sent to all who are not members advising them in advance. I do not think the BOD considered where the Bios would be posted.

I have sent your comments to the BOD. I think they are valid and should be considered at the next BOD meeting. I will keep you advised.
Thank you for the thoughts.
Merl

I agree with Todd, only members should be allowed to have a team bio, but they should be available to the public to view.

Thanks Merl. I agree the bios should only be for members in good standing and for the reasons mentioned also agree they should be viewable by the public. My .02.

I have not read the article and the BOD did discuss removing non members. An e-mail is being sent to all who are not members advising them in advance. I do not think the BOD considered where the Bios would be posted.

I have sent your comments to the BOD. I think they are valid and should be considered at the next BOD meeting. I will keep you advised.
Thank you for the thoughts.
Merl

I'm somewhat puzzled by this completely counterintuitive idea.

Of course the posting of team bios should be limited to members in good standing, but what on earth is the point of restricting their view? How does it promote the face of barbeque to the public to hide team profiles from them?

Of course it's easy enough for any team to maintain their own website, myspace page, etc., but those who proudly promote their affiliation to KCBS in those venues should have the courtesy returned, don't you think?

It would be cool if it also pulled in your KCBS Rankings on your bio page for members only. Of course, that would take years to do.

It would be cool if it also pulled in your KCBS Rankings on your bio page for members only. Of course, that would take years to do.

Or link from rankings to the team bio. There's a lot of cool interactive stuff that would be easy to do with a good base of data and architecture.

I think that the teams in "good standing" should be able to have their profile, and viewable by the public. It is something that I have used when approaching a company for sponsorship, verifying that I actually exist. I have used the pickled pig site as well, but, when I send out the proposal letter, I clearly state in the letter, "KCBS member in good standing" in the request letter...adding to the validity of my request. I may not support everything that happens in the board, or comes from the board, but, as long as I spend my time going to contests that are sanctioned by KCBS I will continue to support that by being a member, just as I am joining Mid-Atlantic for the same reason....wanting to support those who put on the contests....

gonna have to partially disagree

I think posting bios should be for members in good standing only, but not access to view bios. I also think that you should be a KCBS member if you compete in a KCBS contest.

Being a member in good standing to maintain a bio on their web site is reasonable but I would disagree with having to be a KCBS member to compete. We already pay an average of $200 to enter + meat + expenses now you are saying...wait now you have to be a member in good standing. Where does it end?

Being a member (in good standing) I was surprised that they put our team bio up without our having submitted it in the first place. We had one of the first bios up when they changed the website two years ago.

I would disagree with having to be a KCBS member to compete. We already pay an average of $200 to enter + meat + expenses now you are saying...wait now you have to be a member in good standing. Where does it end?

It's $35 a year - less than $3 a month. Without the BBQ organizations, what kinds of BBQ comps would we be doing? The ones that have different rules and entries from comp to comp? No thanks, $35 is nothing for a constant set of standards and rules.

Being a member in good standing to maintain a bio on their web site is reasonable but I would disagree with having to be a KCBS member to compete. We already pay an average of $200 to enter + meat + expenses now you are saying...wait now you have to be a member in good standing. Where does it end?

I'm going to have disagree with you. I thing EVERY chief cook should be a member in good standing. KCBS is the sanctioning body. They make the rules and we follow them. They provide the reps at every contests to make sure the rules are followed. They provide the scoring system.
My family owned a bowling center. If you bowl in a league, EVERY bowler must join the ABC or WIBC before they can bowl. They are the the mens and womens sanctioning bodies. They make sure the rules are followed. I don't think KCBS would be out of line to make each chief cook be a member. For less than $3 a month you know what the rules are getting into a contest, you know the contest will be run fair, and you get the Bullsheet.

Chris Early
Early Bird BBQ

Being a member (in good standing) I was surprised that they put our team bio up without our having submitted it in the first place. We had one of the first bios up when they changed the website two years ago.

Choice of responses...

1) Your reputation precedes you.

2) Everyone wants to be on the theSlabs.com bandwagon... <Cookshack Mod>

I disagree strenuously with the idea that you should have to be a member of the KCBS to compete in a KCBS event.

We should be LOWERING the barriers to compete, not raising them.

The KCBS is being compensated for their rules, regulations, reps and listing. That expense is borne by the organizer and is often passed along to the competitors in reduced payouts.

As an organizer if I was told that I had to turn away a team who was not a member of the KCBS, I would seriously reconsider having the event sanctioned in the first place.

Eric

Back