London Broil ?

Alan in Ga

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Amber found a london broil and we have no Idea what to do with it any help would be appreciated.

Reverse seer? Rub with Bovine Bold or any other steak rub. Montreal will do. Smoke them until 150 internal then throw right over some very hot coals and seered the grill marks. Let rest. Slice against grain.

What Mark said ^^^^^^ but I also like to marinate the meat first with Yoshida's Gourmet Sauce, Worsteschire, and Kitchen Bouquet. It also doesn't hurt to hit it with a jaccard if you have one.

London Broil is a method of preparation, not a cut of meat. Yeah, it's one of my pet peeves.

Some believe it should just be pan fried and others want it marinated. In either case it should be cooked to no more than medium rare (130° - 135°). Any more than that and it will be tough.

What you have could be flank steak, top round, sirloin tip, etc. In any case it should be a lean cut with the grain running the long way through the cut. Season/marinade as you will and sear over high heat 3 - 4 minutes per side. Move to a cooler area of the grill and cook to medium rare. Slice thin against the grain. If it's a flank steak hold the knife at a 45° angle to the cutting board as you slice.

Enjoy! Let us know how it turns out.

Yeah, what Earl said ^^^^. Thin sliced, don't overcook it.

I like to marinate them in Italian Salad dressing for about a half a day and throw them on the smoker until med rare and slice wafer thin and pile high on a crusty roll.........Good stuff

London Broil is a method of preparation, not a cut of meat. Yeah, it's one of my pet peeves.

Some believe it should just be pan fried and others want it marinated. In either case it should be cooked to no more than medium rare (130° - 135°). Any more than that and it will be tough.

What you have could be flank steak, top round, sirloin tip, etc. In any case it should be a lean cut with the grain running the long way through the cut. Season/marinade as you will and sear over high heat 3 - 4 minutes per side. Move to a cooler area of the grill and cook to medium rare. Slice thin against the grain. If it's a flank steak hold the knife at a 45° angle to the cutting board as you slice.

Enjoy! Let us know how it turns out.

Yeah what you said. BTW you have a great pet peeve there.:becky::becky:

I like to marinate overnight, then cook indirect to 125. Do the reverse sear 3-4 min a side. Let it rest 15 min and slice across the grain.

I like to marinate overnight, then cook indirect to 125. Do the reverse sear 3-4 min a side. Let it rest 15 min and slice across the grain.

What Rob said - marinate overnight. Haven't tried the reverse sear, but should work well with the cuts usually labelled "London Broil". Hot and fast is NOT the way to go with these, usually. They can be mighty tasty, though - enjoy!

I like to marinate them in Italian Salad dressing for about a half a day and throw them on the smoker until med rare and slice wafer thin and pile high on a crusty roll.........Good stuff
Yep, that's pretty much how I do them, and if not smoked then seared and grilled to rare.

Earl and I share a pet peeve :becky:

I take mine to 130 and then rest before slicing. No marinade. Just a coating of Montreal Steak Seasoning that has been given a whirl or to in a coffee grinder to break up the bigger bits.

London Broil came to fashion and was quite the thing in the 1960's. It is traditionally made from flank steak, and yes, it's a dish, not a cut of meat. If you see meat labeled as London Broil in the market, jack up the butcher and ask him what cut it is.

I like to marinate my flank steaks overnight, and then they hit a hot grill on both sides until the ol' thermopen registers 125*. Then I pull and foil for like 5 minutes. Sliced thin and at an angle, like this- \ , not this- | ,will give better presentation and larger slices.

This is like a serious pet peeve of mine, too. It rises to the level of beans in chili or boiled ribs.

Not that I want to high jack this thread , but I agree with the peeve. My big peeve is 'Choice' Prime Rib. If it ain't 'Prime' it is just a rib roast, (not that rib roast is bad'.

:thumb: Italian dressing is the secret ingredient to a lot of, "What is that you used to make this so good" comments. Shhh, don't tell!

Thanks for the advice and yes it was labled London Broil so I will jack him up next time.:thumb:

1.5 pound london broil .............how long smoker

Im new to smoking, how long is a 1.5 pound london broil going to take to smoke to a 150 temp? Gonna smoke it on a WSM 22.5

Grill it on a very hot grid and it will take maybe ten minutes. 150 is way to high for LB, 135 and let it rest for Ten.

Good luck.

Back