Try not to laugh.......

OppoMojo

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Doug
Hoping to have a 1st ever attempt & cook in my Cuisinart 36" propane smoker. I'm as dumb as a stick about any of this and would do back flips if it turns out being edible. Any advice on what & how would be appreciated. Our Farm Market has London Broil, Spare Ribs & boneless California Ribs on sale. What would be a good beginner smoke?

Also, Cuisinart suggests to burn it on high for 15 minutes empty to season it. Others online say to wipe the grates and door with oil and add smoke chips for 2 hrs at 300*.....any thoughts? Thank you in advance, Doug

I would at least spray it down inside with some canola pam. If you're smoking on your first cook it will pick up seasoning while you cook, so the 15 minute deal may be ok as long as you spray it.

If boneless California ribs is the same as boneless country style ribs (cut from the shoulder) then I'd go with that. Very forgiving and they have some fat so you won't dry them out.

Cover them with rub when raw then sauce if you want the last hour.

Throw some chicken leg quarters or thighs under the ribs on a lower shelf as they are cheap to play with and learn your cooker.

Good luck, looks like a cool little smoker.

No need for anyone to laugh. Everyone was a newbie when starting out. Some were lucky enough to have a mentor close by but if you don't, don't be afraid to ask questions here.
I would not start out with a London broil because that is usually a very lean piece of meat which means it will not be very forgiving when it comes to time and temperature. I either marinade and grill them or use them for making jerky.
Like Fooball said country style ribs are more forgiving and chicken leg quarters are usually a less expensive meat to experiment with.
You can't necessarily trust that temp gauge on the door. A probe from a good digital thermometer is better at letting you know what is happening in your smoker.
Don't over smoke to start with. Find out what you like by smoking lightly to start with and go from there.
Let us know how it goes and if the first cook does not empress you, don't sell the smoker or kick it to the curb.

Laugh? We don't laugh at people, we teach people. That's why we're The Brethren.

Be careful with the country style ribs, around these parts they sell them from both the butt end and also from the loin end, usually they are labeled, but not always. The loin end has much less fat.

Thanks for the good advice NC, I have read so much here and thought I had a game plan but now I'm scrambling! I took off before Fooball's reply and ended up buying a 4.25 lbs pork butt and 2.75 lbs slab of BB ribs.

I'm having a few buds over and planned on eating tomorrow around 7pm. Any advice on how or if these can be smoked at the same time and temps? I did buy a wireless digital thermometer and a handheld one. Thanks again, Doug

Is the butt boneless or have a bone in?

I would put the butt on a couple hours before the ribs and smoke at 275* give or take.

I estimate the butt might take around 6ish hours (guessing here) and the ribs 3-4 hours. So just add the ribs later and keep the same temp.
If one or both get done early, pull it and wrap in foil to rest. You can keep warm in your even on the lowest setting.
You want to shoot for done a bit early and hold rather than trying to hurry them up.

Don’t worry if your smoker temp fluctuates between 250-300, it’s all good.

I assume you’re pulling the pork, so you can mix in a small amount of apple juice or chicken broth with a little more rub to keep moist after pulling.

Keep asking questions, good luck!

You can absolutely cook both at the same temperature and time (assuming you have space in the smoker). The butt will probably take longer than the ribs but it’s very easy to add the ribs after you start the butt. I’ll let others who are more experienced help with approximate times and temperatures, but rest assured that this is very likely to turn out delicious!

Is the butt boneless or have a bone in?

Yes it has the bone in. Can you tell me the placement of the probes and when to insert them on both cuts?

I've tried about 4 x to cook ribs on a weber charcoal grill in my life.....the raccoons nor the coyotes wouldn't eat them.

Last edited:
For the butt, insert about halfway, but don’t place it right next to the bone.
When it gets to 195, start probing with an instant read therm for probe tense in multiple places.
It could take up to 205 to be fully tender.

I don’t use a probe in ribs. When they start looking done, use a pair of tongs and lift at about 1/3 of the rack and see if they start to crack. Or you can probe several spots with a toothpick to see if it goes in with little resistance.
If they start to look too dry during the cook, spritz with water or apple juice.

Don’t forget the pictures! :-D

I've tried about 4 x to cook ribs on a weber charcoal grill in my life.....the raccoons nor the coyotes wouldn't eat them.

What's funny is I can't cook ribs on a grill to save my soul either, smoker, no problem. One of my buddies can't make ribs on the smoker but grills killer ribs on his Weber. :noidea:

I know the newbies are probably headaches most of the time but it's nice to feel welcomed. I feel better about tomorrow and will post pics of when the homestead went up in flames! Thanks much y'all

Oh, I get it! I've searched but it's not that important to get that aggravated with myself. I can move on down the highway without much care. Thanks for every reply.....I really mean it folks! Doug

While learning the ropes, I recommend giving yourself plenty of time. Butts and ribs can hold for quite a while, so get an early start.

I’ve had some ribs go 6 hours, some go 4. Butts can take a while, not sure what a 4lb butt would require.

Also yes I’d cook off the paint first then maybe spray some oil in there and let that cure a bit before cooking.

Also

I know the anxiety that comes when you are cooking for people and you don't want to disappoint them. I still have it when I am cooking for friends and family. If there are any techniques or descriptions that confuse you or that you just aren't sure what we mean, YouTube is your friend because there are very many videos that are detailed and as close to hands-on as you can get without being there. Malcolm Reed is one of the best!

Laugh? We don't laugh at people, we teach people. That's why we're The Brethren.

Be careful with the country style ribs, around these parts they sell them from both the butt end and also from the loin end, usually they are labeled, but not always. The loin end has much less fat.

Well said Andy!

We all started somewhere. My advice is jump right in. Advice from the brethren helps tremendously but nothing happens until you get your hands dirty. :clap2:

You can usually tell by the color of the meat. If its darker red its good, if its a pale white its crap.

Back