Favorite wood for brisket?

T

trouserchili

Hey all, been awhile. Had a baby, bought a house, poor as hell and a friend just unexpectidly gave me a Christmas gift...some nice spices from a local gormet spice house. I need to return the favor, and as such I'm cooking him a brisket. I've got some Oak, but it don't quite taste right the last time I used it. I've also got some Hickory and Mesquite available. Right now I'm leaning toward the Mesquite, but I'm open to suggestions. What's your favorite wood for a Brisket? I'm thinking of using the following rub, but adjustments are welcome.

2 tablespoons celery salt
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons cumin
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons black pepper
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper

Thanks guys, it's a 15 pounder if anyone is interested.

Mesquite!! Although I often mix a little hickory in there with mesquite....all wood.

Pecan, puts an awsome color and taste on one.

Personally - I'd go lighter on the mesquite. Use mainly the hickory or the pecan, supplement with mesquite.

I'm giving away my secrets here..........I'm a sugar maple and cherry wood user.
No complaints and very happy comsumers.

I'm with Al and TK. I prefer to use pecan, and add a little mesquite for flavor. mesquite burns too hot and fast for my lazy ways.

I use apple and cherry because that's what I have the most access to. If given a choice I'd use pecan. Anybody want to trade some pecan for apple and or cherry out there?

Indeed go light with the mesquite wood. Use a little but try to mix in that Oak or if you can some Pecan or Hickory!

Goodluck. Once I get some free time here from work I am going to cook me a brisket and some other goodies.

i have had good success with pin oak and mesquite. i also add paprika(sweet) to any rub. helps with color.

Happy Holidays everyone,

Oak and Cherry - Oak is a very nice brisket wood.

Smokeem'

Either an Oak Hickory mix or Cherry for me. The Oak mellows out the strong Hickory flavor.

Actually I prefer Morning Wood to them all! ( Good Hard Wood---Cat couldn't scratch it mod.) 8)

Back