What if Rule Change Suggestion

B

BigJimsBBQ

:idea: Here is my suggestion to all sanctioned BBQ bodies that organize BBQ Cook-Offs:

My thought is to have each single meat catagory judging be done by catagories of stick burners, charcoal burner (No Electronics/Electricity), charcoal burner (With Electronics/Electricity) and then gas burners (At the table level Blind to the judges). The judgeing would be on as level as possible a playing field as possible with a difficulty multiplier to be applied to each of the meat catagory's final score (all 3 categories scores added together for each meat). Then take those scores and combine them all to get the Meat and overall winners.

I would have the difficulty multiplier something like the following:
Log Burners - X 1.3
Charcoal Burner (No Electronics/Electricity) - 1.2
Charcoal Burner (With Electronics/Electricity) - 1.1
Gas Burner - 1.0

This would also get the gas Burners in the event and I believe we would see 200 Teams where we see only 20-30 today in the pro devision. I think that the backyard would also be full with gassers.

What do you think?

Seems like you have put a lot of good thought into all this. I use a stick burner myself. However, when I lose to a team that uses another kind of smoker I assume that they are:
1. Better cooks
2. Harder workers.

I don't see any need whatsoever to differentiate between cookers and types of cookers. As far as I'm concerned - let folks use whatever they want. It will always come down to ability and hard work, IMO. As for difficulty - I can't imagine how difficult it is to deal with power shortages, fried "boards" and stuck augers. Heck, all I have to do is start a fire :)

Sounds to me like you think a stick burner is harder to use than other cookers.:icon_devil Or maybe stick burners can't cook so they need a big edge just to compete.

And I notice you decided to ban pellets or are they just little sticks.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

My logic is to level the field and get the gas burners in to up the Teams counts quick.

As far as a stick burner being fed a stick or two every 30-45 minutes all night the same dificulty as pour a bag of charcoal in and start the temp control device and then go to bed ... come on.:shock::confused:

The analogy I gave in another thread is a hand welder skills and difficulty rated against a robotic welder operator. One does all the work and the other just sets up the machine and pushes a button. The weld bead is what would be judged only in todays sanctioned events. Which takes more human skill set and difficulty and is that a fair challange?

BTW - I have re-vamped to include pellet cookers:

I would have the difficulty multiplier something like the following:
Log Burners - X 1.3
Charcoal Burner (No Electronics/Electricity) - 1.2
Charcoal Burner (With Electronics/Electricity) and Pellet Cookers - 1.1
Gas Burner - 1.0

MHO

How about homemade cookers X 2.5? :p

Seriously though, why would a stick burner be that much more difficult than a charcoal (Backwoods) cooker?

How about homemade cookers X 2.5? :p

Seriously though, why would a stick burner be that much more difficult than a charcoal (Backwoods) cooker?

This was just a starting point to discuss possibilities. I am not saying those should not be equally weighted, or that the factors to multiply are correct %. I am just trying to get new judgeing involved and to find a way to get the gassers in the mix.

This was just a starting point to discuss possibilities. I am not saying those should not be equally weighted, or that the factors to multiply are correct %. I am just trying to get new judgeing involved and to find a way to get the gassers in the mix.

Then how about we allow gassers.

As for me, I say let 'em cook on whatever puts them on top of their game. If I beat them, great for me. If they beat me, I need to work a little harder to find that edge.

I would find it a bitter pill to swallow if I won a comp and found out that the FEC or guru'ed stumps actually OUTSCORED me, but I won because I use a homebuilt stickburner and the multiplier handed me the win. That just ain't how I roll.

As for me, I say let 'em cook on whatever puts them on top of their game. If I beat them, great for me. If they beat me, I need to work a little harder to find that edge.

I would find it a bitter pill to swallow if I won a comp and found out that the FEC or guru'ed stumps actually OUTSCORED me, but I won because I use a homebuilt stickburner and the multiplier handed me the win. That just ain't how I roll.

I agree ... I was shaking the trees to make people see that the reason gassers was not allowed is no longer true. I am just trying to get the discussion here to be "Why Not Allow Gassers Now".

Can you vision the Pro Team Count blow through the roof if gas was allowed?

well said...

What if I use logs and charcoal? Can I add the multipliers together?

Gasser and Stick Burner tie at 600. Stick burner gets 30% bump to 780 points.

With all of the electronics that can go wrong with a pellet cooker, I think they should be 1.4. I mean if you really want to challenge yourself, rely on a pellet machine. Takes a big pair to take the risk.

I think the Gas cookers should get the highest multiplier because they'll get the most crap from the whiney stick burners. It's going to be a long winter.

I think the Gas cookers should get the highest multiplier because they'll get the most crap from the whiney stick burners. It's going to be a long winter.

How about just no Farking banning of gassers from Pro Comps and no difficulty factor be applied:roll:

What if I use logs and charcoal? Can I add the multipliers together?

Gasser and Stick Burner tie at 600. Stick burner gets 30% bump to 780 points.

With all of the electronics that can go wrong with a pellet cooker, I think they should be 1.4. I mean if you really want to challenge yourself, rely on a pellet machine. Takes a big pair to take the risk.

I'll have to agree with Todd on this one. Pellet cookers always have the possibility of messing up (I know for a fact). It is still the cook not the cooker. I think the logistics would be a nightmare. KISS, keep it simple stupid.:rolleyes:

I would like to see a difficulty multiplier added for charcoal burners that pee lighter fluid.

I would like to see a difficulty multiplier for non-RV/toyhauler teams.
shiner.gif

While we're at it let's give teams additional multipliers if they only have choice grade meat to work with or don't have aged briskets. Then let's give an edge to those who don't inject. Then give bonus points if they use homemade rubs and sauces. What about guys who start their pork and brisket on charcoal and then move to pellets?

Worrying about what the other guys are cooking on and using that as justification to change the rules is just silly. There are so many other things that go into a competition the smoker is just on piece of the puzzle.

If you look back at the Team of the Year for the last couple years I think you will find more people winning on multiple types of cookers with and without electronic devices.

As far as gassers go. I am good with them in. But I think you might find the results are similar to what they are today. Here are the results from the LP Que held a few years ago. Most of those teams finishing in the top 10 are the same ones finishing in the top 10 at most contest anyway. http://www.lpque.com/Results.htm

Back