Hot water tank blanket for cooker..

daWreck'n Q

Reaction score
I have a Yoder Smoker YS1320; Used it Saturday morning for the first time. Went through a bunch of pellets and had a hard time keeping even temp. Some could be from rookie incompetence! The ambient temp was around 32 degrees. I am thinking of getting a water heater blanket to cover it with when it is that cold. Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated. I will add a link to the blanket at Home Depot that I am thinking about. http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...t+water+tank+insulation+blanket&storeId=10051

Thanks one and all!

I have a Yoder Smoker YS1320; Used it Saturday morning for the first time. Went through a bunch of pellets and had a hard time keeping even temp. Some could be from rookie incompetence! The ambient temp was around 32 degrees. I am thinking of getting a water heater blanket to cover it with when it is that cold. Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated. I will add a link to the blanket at Home Depot that I am thinking about. http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...t+water+tank+insulation+blanket&storeId=10051

Thanks one and all!

I'm sure that would work. I've used a welders blanket on my traeger in the past.

Just make sure you use all natural fibers... any synthetic blends will be prone to melt.

Been there, done that, spent days scraping it off...

I have been wondering the same thing. I dont know how well the stickburner will do in the winter, and wether I should just do the cook chamber or if I should try to insulate the firebox as well?

I have been wondering the same thing. I dont know how well the stickburner will do in the winter, and wether I should just do the cook chamber or if I should try to insulate the firebox as well?
I'm one of the crazy folk that stickburns year-round. It will use more fuel but it will perform well. Insulating will do the trick, but firebricks in both chambers will help too and probably be a lot cheaper and easier. That's what I do, so I can't say how much better insulating would be.

Back