Have Old Water Heater Tank, Is it Worth Saving

LifeLongWNYer

Knows what a fatty is.
Hi folks, yet ANOTHER hew guy question.....

I replaced the water heater last weekend, and was wondering if it had any use as a part of/or for a smoker. I sawed off the sheet metal jacket, and discovered ( this is the first time I've ever opened one up ) a layer of yellow foam insulation on the tank. A few chunks of the foam broke off when I scraped the tank with a gasket scraper, but most of the insulation looks like it is stuck to the tank fairly well. I am guessing the way to remove it might be to burn it off with a weed burner, but suspect it will be a smoky process.

So, is the tank worth saving for use as a part of a smoker, or does the pain of getting the foam off make it not worth the bother? If it is worth saving, I'll hang on to it, thinking I'll get around to using it this summer or next. BUT if it isn't worth bothering with, I'll take the tank to the scrap yard on my next trip.

What has me wondering, is that I've never heard anybody mention a water heater tank on here, and wonder if there is a reason.

Thanks,

most guys talk about using propane tanks which I think are a bit thicker guage than a water tank. But if I knew anything at all I would know I knew nothing!

The inner tank is a light gauge metal, and most likely galvanized. Not suitable for use as a cooker, IMO.

Some use these for large capacity chili or brunswick stew cookers. Generally the shorter models, especially if they are already plumbed for gas.

EDIT - I guess, after researching a bit, the tanks in the last 15 - 20 years have started to be unsuitable for cookers due to various liners and other materials, so i wouldn't use one as a cooker.

Well, when tapping on it, it sounds as if it is thicker than light gauge metal, I'll check on that, but I'm sure it isn't as thick as a propane tank.

It is almost 20 years old, so like everything else, it is probably thicker that its' newly manufacturer equivalent.

How about for a fire box, is it worth anything for something like that?

I'd cut into it, just out of curiosity, if it's that old. You can always get rid of it.

I lucked out with it dying. NYS passed new rules on water heaters, supposedly to require them to be more efficient. I knew my heater was getting old, so before the rule took effect, I bought new one and put it in the garage. Saved me about $177.00.

Well new one was in the garage for 29 days before the old one started leaking. Perfect timing. Usually my luck runs the other way around.

My last water heater was flat bottomed (gas), I cut it open and used the bottom with the center vent pipe still attached as a tool stand base. I am sure it could work as a base, but not for smoking.

Okay, DRH, it seems too good to take the the scrap yard, I'm trying hard to justify keeping it, just don't know what use to put it too.

I might get out the grinder and cut it in half, maybe inspiration will come. Thanks for the idea!

Back