Hot Water Heater for firebox?

iStrikeBack

Got Wood.
Hey everyone!

My name is Caleb and I'm new to the forum. I've been smoking for a couple years all on cheap small vertical charcoal smokers.

I getting ready to build my first offset smoker. I got a tank from a local scrap yard and its about 24''x66''. My dad (a contractor) just got a hot water heater that is still looks in decent shape from the outside. I am thinking about using the tank for the firebox. Now I've ready all sorts of things and some people say its great and others say don't do it due to the coating some of the tanks have on the inside. If I use it for the firebox it should be ok though as long as I burn it out good first right?

I'm trying to understand why anyone would want to heat hot water. :noidea: :behindsofa:

All joking aside. I'd be interested to see the inside of the tank.
I've always heard they had a glass lining similar to a thermos bottle.

I'm trying to understand why anyone would want to heat hot water. :noidea: :behindsofa:

Haha. Took me a minute to get that, but Ive always been slow on the uptake.

I came to this thread hoping to see someone trying to set up a "cold" water tank to heat water. One of these days Im going to try that, the only reason why is because Ive always wanted my smoker to make steam so I could run an honest to goodness steam whistle. What better way to announce dinner time. But getting blown up has always held me back.

Maybe I shared too much? :loco:

What about if I wire wheeled the inside?

What they are trying to say is the metal from the water heater tank is too thin to be used for a fire box. Suggestion is to find 1/4 inch metal to build fire box. Keep asking questions, there is a lot of experience and knowledge on this forum. We won't steer you wrong.

Good luck,

Robert

How thick are the walls of the hot water tank you want to use for your firebox? Aside from having to clean it if plated/galvanized you really don't want a firebox less than 1/4 inch thickness. Also, if it is plated/galvanized you will need it thouroughly cleaned before welding to avoid potentially dangerous fumes, I would have it sandblasted to bare metal.

Oooh ok got it now! Well I think the tank is only about 3/16 think I think. I just reached in and did a "pinch test" through one of the threaded opening. It weighed about 325-350 lbs.

If i cut it down would it still be thick enough for a firebox? should I line the bottom with firebrick?

3/16" would Last a Long time. I wouldn't line it with fire brick. A Good fire grate of criss crossed expanded metal so that fire and most of the coals stay off the metal and cleaning Ash out regularly after a cook and it will last.

Back