Practice

big brother smoke

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
We are talking about "practice."

My guests this year for Thanksgiving are getting brisket and ribs for dinner along with the traditional turkey.

How many of you have started practicing for next year's comps?

We do have a back to back comp the second weekend in December, so my practice is a little more urgent.:p

I will be getting a new smoker in a few weeks so I will be doing a lot of practice before March gets here. I knew how Lena "my old stickburner" would act in all differant types of weather conditions and how to adjust to them. Once i get this new stumps loaded onto the back of the BBQ villa I will be working on become just as familiar with it.

I did a couple of backyard comps this year and plan on doing my first 5 KCBS next year so I have already started practicing. I have got my pen and paper and plan on doing each of the meats 5 different ways on different cookers. So far i have done chicken and found a technique I like now have to work on flavors.

I will be doing this for each one so i got a LONG ways to go.

Got a bunch of family coming to town for Christmas so I'm planning on doing some practicing around then. Their feedback is always 100% honest, so I'm definitely going to take advantage.

2 varieties of brisket being cooked. Family loves it when I practice. keith

With the last comp of the calendar year on 12/31/11 and the first comp of next year on 1/1/12, there won't be much time to practice between seasons!!!

I started practicing last weekend.. yer behind ! .. going to cook again on friday/saturday of thanksgiving weekend.

if it's a comp meat, it's a practice...unless i get a specific no "chemicals" request, which i don't use too much of anyways.

I'm also doing a brisket along with a turkey. It seems that lately, every time I cook a KCBS entry meat at home it ends up being a practice. I love doing it but sometimes want to just cook something without self inflicted pressure :doh:

I practiced the first 3 weekends after my season ended. Playing with some things with chicken and ribs on the Jambo.

I practiced last weekend, did four big ol briskets. next up, damn chicken.

Yep, will be working on it the day after.

Cooking a SRF Brisket and a CAB. Also doing pork, ribs and some new chicken.

Every chance I get while at home I will practice. With me traveling for work it gets cut down a lot so I got to get it in when I can. My wife coworkers are happy though.

Doing several racks of ribs for a party. Little do the guest know that I am actually practicing for next year. Different rubs, sauces, wood, and times all going to be a little different.

I did a practice brisket last night. This verified that something is wrong with my sensor1/blower1 sensor on my Stoker. In that after 6.5 hours at 250 degrees, the whole brisket (flat and point) were over 200 with very burnt ends, I know the temps had to have a major fluctuation during the night (how about hot and fast but not intended) . Now I need another practice to watch what went wrong.

Back