Clone cookers (stumps and a backwoods)

Kave Dweller

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Wanted to share some pictures of my two winter projects.

First is my backwoods/onyx clone. It's a hybrid size wise. 13x22 shelfs x 3, about 7" in between each shelf.
6u9ejy5e.jpg

9ysahyhe.jpg

Stumps clone cooking chamber is about twice the size. No sheetmetal yet, hopefully this week.

6egeguma.jpg

Nice! I'd like to see more build pics of the Backwoods. Been planning on a fatboy clone, but really need to do some measurements on one.

What are you using for door gaskets?

It's a stainless mesh pgasket I found online. Seems to work good, have 10 cooks or so on it now.

Careful what ya ask for.

yquqe5et.jpg
Water pan is a steam tab

uvepebyj.jpg

1" square outer frame

eju6eba6.jpg
apeju3yv.jpg
paint is a fine rattle can job
5ybe3yre.jpg
set up pretty much just for guru use, I haven't tried to cook without it.
3u5any3a.jpg
ha8u7u3u.jpg
y9atequg.jpg
you can kinda see te 2nd 1" frame being welded in in this picture
tytu7ady.jpg
nice tape line... Took this for the racks 1/2" angle with 3/4x9 expanded non rolled, stumps is getting rolled as this stuff destroys foil

Anything else ya want to see or know ask away, I'm real happy with how it cooks and think you should do.

Better than Stump

I like your taste in smokers and whiskey. It takes real skill to do this quality of work and obiously a lot of time. I'm sure you will enjoy some fine q from that baby. Don't suppose you are going into a new business are you.
Smokey Martin of Daleridge, TN

Last edited:
No business ever building smokers! I started it the Friday after thanks giving and didn't finish until the middle of February, I don't think I could charge enough for how slow I work! Actual work hours was right about 400, could of been 200, but I took it apart and back together a lot as I found I was wrong the first time I did everything.

Just a fun winter project more less to see if I could do it and saved a couple bucks with my slave labor.

You wouldnt be any slower the Backwoods or Stumps...Whatever time they tell you...triple it

The backwoods was a lot of fun, stumps so far has been easier, but heavy as hell to move around. 1/2" and 1/4" plate steel chimney pounds add up fast.

The backwoods was a lot of fun, stumps so far has been easier, but heavy as hell to move around. 1/2" and 1/4" plate steel chimney pounds add up fast.

Wait till its done .You think its heavvy now ! I think Lil Rain is around 600 . Christine around 350-400 .:shocked:

Keep after it you will get done sooner or later...
WAIT what if I tried this :twitch::twitch:

Just waitin for warm weather then I go again.I have a mild steel chute assy welded up ready to go or parts for another Stainless one. Just need to decide which to go with. Plans for 24 1/2 square racks .

24" is a must, 22-1/2" on the backwoods tad little to tight when using pans, stumps ended up 25-1/2" after I cut all the mitered pieces at 40degrees not 45.... Plan deviation happened right there.

The plan for the new one will be to replace Lil Rain in the comp trailer and then Lil Rain gets put into the shed for if we want to cook a couple cases of butts or go to a comp thats a longer run we could throw her on a utility trailer Ez ups and go.

Back