Would I be sinning against the brethren if I crock pot a tri tip

Royalslover

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I am confused by Tri tip. I have cooked it twice and both times it was pretty tough but tasty. Is it possible to cook it like a brisket-will it get tender? Seems like it would dry out by the time it was done. I would grill it but my family doesn't like rare meat. I'm leaning towards the crock pot, what say you?

you can cook it like a brisket and it will get tender again. Its pretty good honestly.

but most likely a waste of a tri tip to crock pot it.

Maybe a tri tip isn't for you? They will never be tender like a filet or tenderloin. Think more like a sirloin tip roast or bottom round. There is some chew to it. The key for me is only cook to 125-130 and slice thinly against the grain.

Thick slices are pretty chewy.. And don't waste your money putting it in a crock pot. It would be a total waste. Most meats taste the same after you boil them.

Do a google search of this website for Trisket. You will find a lot about tri-tip cooked as brisket, along with some pics.
Sorry I cannot do links for you. Google search is at bottom of this page.

Shagdog is right. Needs to be cooked rare and sliced thin if you are going that way.
If you want to crock pot something, chuck roast is better anyway.

I agree with Shagdog. The beauty of a tri-tip is that it can accommodate how most people like their meat cooked. More rare towards the center and more done on the ends. I grew up on the central coast of CA and Santa Maria where this comes from. You can't rush a cut of meat like this, that will just be a disaster. Take your time grilling it, cut against the grain. There will be a chew to it, but if cooked correctly, it will become one of your favorites.

I agree, tri-tip can't be over cooked... if the family doesn't like pink meat, cook it like Shagdog said and when you slice, cut it just a bit thicker and then throw on a hot pan real quick to take some of the red off of their slices. My wife hates pink meat but she loves it like this and it's still juicy/tender! This way you get the good stuff still.

I concur with everything said before, however if you find one that has really good marbling they can be very tender even if slightly overcooked. I look for a heavily marbled TT all the time but they are usually smaller in size and kinda hard to find.

Medium rare sliced really thin with a boning or filet knife works for me.

If you do the crockpot method I would flash grill it first 4-6 minutes each side. I've never done it that way but I bet you can mJe a tasty meal.

It can be braised and be delicious, however so can a center round, and it costs a little less. And yes, you can cook it like a brisket, however, it is a waste of the cut, as it loses both flavor and texture, and you would be better off sticking with brisket, which, oddly, cooks up best when cooked like a brisket.

I think if your family dislikes pink beef, they are best off not eating tri-tip. It's not like a life is incomplete without eating tri-tip.

What they said.... Why crock pot a 6.99 cut when you can crock pot a 3.99 cut.

I think your issues with the tri tip are most likely linked to not carving it properly.

What they said.... Why crock pot a 6.99 cut when you can crock pot a 3.99 cut.

I think your issues with the tri tip are most likely linked to not carving it properly.
His family doesn't like meat that is not fully cooked, meaning not rare. Tri-tip really is best rare to medium rare. Taken to a full medium or above, it gets tough no matter how you cut it.

Although, for some reason, many people do cut it wrong.

BTW, I forgot to answer the question. Yes it is a sin. I sin all the time just not with Tri Tip.

Friends don't let friends crock pot ribs . . . or tritip.

LOL-I read the infamous thread about Tri tip-that was funny. Who knew a piece of meat could cause emotions to boil over? I think I'm going to go the route of grilling it to 130ish, slicing and throwing too pink slices in a hot pan to fool the family.

Back