Welding Gloves

milehigh

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Looking at getting a pair of welding gloves to use as oven mitts and Q'ing tasks like handling chimney starters and moving the plate setter on the egg. Northern Tool has them from $3.99 on up, and i don't have a clue.
Any suggestions from the welders?

Paul

I use them to put my plate setter on my egg as well as remove big pans of baked chicken from commercial ovens.I buy mine at a farm supply store......last year I paid $18 dollars a pair.

I also use them when im welding up projects.

They should serve you fine for your purpose.

I have a pair that my father bought 25 year ago from a welding supply store, they are HEAVY leather and lined. As you can imagine they can get pretty nasty, I finally threw them in the washing machine one day and they came out great, even softer. I actually use them quite a bit.

Paul,

Got mine at Lowe's. Task Force brand I believe. Insulated. They are great. Around 15 -20 bucks. They work great for welding and handling hot grates, and especially dutch ovens etc. They are a great accessory.

Bob

I got my gloves a little greasy over time and that caused me some greif the first time I removed my platesetter. Kind of had the Myran atmosphere going!

As Mike said, welding gloves work well for handling hot hardware. The 3.99 gloves will do for quick grabs, but may not be insulated. Rather than buy online, I would go to the store and check them out.

I would not pay attention to the price. I would buy on the basis of the weight, insulation and quality of the glove. The length (how far up your arm it goes) will also vary so check that too.
Oh yeah.....Just sayin'.

Like said above, go and try em on. Some are thicker than others. The ones I use for arc welding are much thicker than my mig gloves.

When they get dirty I simply put them on and wash my hands in them under warm water with some hand cleaner. Let dry. done.:biggrin:

If you have avarage sized hands you can buy Lincoln gloves from HD. If you care to go to a welding supply store you can get them in sizes. I had a pair of BOSS brand gloves in XXXL for about $9.00

Doesn't need to be anything fancy. You're just gonna pig em up when using em for Q. I use a cheap pair of welding gloves to handle my grates and hot stuff. Works fine.

Note: After I pigged up my pair, I had to buy another pair for welding. :lol: The Q gloves are now saturated with grease and whatever-else goop. :grin: I'm sure they'll catch a-fire in an instant while welding.

My wife picked me up a few pairs of these gloves that are similar to the ove glove that with stand heat up to 450 degrees for around $10 a pair at Menards. They work really good.

I don't weld but I never que without em. I agree with Timmy on the length of the gloves. I replaced my first pair after multiple forearm burns.

Looking at getting a pair of welding gloves to use as oven mitts and Q'ing tasks like handling chimney starters and moving the plate setter on the egg. Northern Tool has them from $3.99 on up, and i don't have a clue.
Any suggestions from the welders?

Paul

Hold off on buying gloves...... PM me with your address, I've misplaced it. I owe you one for that rub sampler.

I have a set from welding supply house gauntlet type 12.00-20.00 get thick ones I use em for crabs and Q'ing..Can feel crab pressure but in the pot they go!!!

Tractor supply have them at a good price, I saw some at Walmart. I never buy them usually have 50 pair at end of school year most of the kids don't take them home. You should find a good pair around 10 bucks

I have a pair of Lodge Logic DO Gloves. Retail for $21.00 First Quality Price. They were second quality because of a botched Screen Print job of the Logo. Cost $4.00. Best Money I ever Spent!!!!!!!:biggrin:

My other Business sells them for $ 5.00 a pair. Same as the high price welding gloves, just not the same quality ( Look ) in leather. Good glove for the price.

Hold off on buying gloves...... PM me with your address, I've misplaced it. I owe you one for that rub sampler.

What a great place! Thanks Wayne!

Paul

Use them - I hate blisters and burns - plus you can sit on them if it's cold outside.

Back