Why are some so defensive about their region of Q?

I have not tried to BBQ anything yet but plan to try in the near future but from what I have read in the forum one of the things that bbq does is render the fat. IMO pork gravy tastes better than beef gravy so it would make sense to me that pork bbq would be a little more flavorful. It is also my opinion that if it is good bbq it really doesn't matter that much and if he likes your ribs so much that he asked you to some for him then it seems logical that he would like your pulled pork as well and should not say no to it just because he is from Texas.

Meh. Like others have said some folks regardless of where they live will be closed minded about stuff. Folks would be surprised what they would like if they gave it a chance. I for one love pulled chuckie sammies just as much as I love pulled pork sammies. As a matter of factly if I had one of each on my lunch plate right now I would be extremely happy.

I have not tried to BBQ anything yet but plan to try in the near future but from what I have read in the forum one of the things that bbq does is render the fat. IMO pork gravy tastes better than beef gravy so it would make sense to me that pork bbq would be a little more flavorful. It is also my opinion that if it is good bbq it really doesn't matter that much and if he likes your ribs so much that he asked you to some for him then it seems logical that he would like your pulled pork as well and should not say no to it just because he is from Texas.

Not intending to offend any of our Texas brethren but since moving to Northwest Louisiana I have learned that Texas folk is proud folk. They LOVE being from Texas and are very proud of anything from Texas. And in some cases saying your favorite "something" is "something" not from Texas is by default insulting Texas. Even though you never said as much. Proud folk I say. Very proud. :boxing:

Being from the north country of Minnesota most people here wouldn't know good Q if it reached out and bit them. In the church basement culture of my youth, BBQ meant sloppy joes served on a bun during a church social. The only smoking that is "native" up here is a few old timers that are good at smoking fish and some locals who have/had farm skills that are dying fast like curing and smoking a country ham. Everything I have learned about smoking beef, pork, and chicken I did through reading and studying about other parts of the country and trying to emulate the best I could with the equipment I could afford. I think I am doing a pretty tasty job of things but I am not "native" with my skills. That being said I seem to try more variety than other parts of the country where they might have a strong loyalty to one animal, cut, or technique.

One of the great things about BBQ, it is a national obsession, at least eating it is. But, it can be incredibly polarizing as well. Lots of folks know what they grew up with, and that is what they are going to go with. Often, you have a bad experience, and form an opinion. I would have told you I don't much care for chopped BBQ beef sandwiches for years, after eating quite a few bad ones, then I had a good one, changed my view.

There is also the conversation of how narrow you want to define a certain food or style of cooking. Lots of folks want BBQ to be one thing, and not allow for a more open definition. I am in the school that folks can call it BBQ is that is how they communicate, I will be clear what I am cooking for my own standards.

Not intending to offend any of our Texas brethren but since moving to Northwest Louisiana I have learned that Texas folk is proud folk. They LOVE being from Texas and are very proud of anything from Texas. And in some cases saying your favorite "something" is "something" not from Texas is by default insulting Texas. Even though you never said as much. Proud folk I say. Very proud. :boxing:
New England people tend to be proud as well and as far as I know we are not noted for any type of bbq but that does not mean we can't enjoy it as much as the next person.

That being said I seem to try more variety than other parts of the country where they might have a strong loyalty to one animal, cut, or technique.

That is one benefit of living in the upper Midwest; we have no "frame of reference" so to speak. Whether it's pork, beef, or whatever. The downside to this is that we have a severe lack of solid BBQ restaurants so people consider Applebee's baby back ribs real BBQ. It's comical when you give someone real smoked BBQ for the first time. It's almost like a religious experience.

Don't sell yourself short on how good our smoked fish is though. There is some stellar smoked fish (salmon, white fish, etc.) in this state.

OP, the only thing you can do in a situation like yours is to just smile and not say anything. Some people are just closed minded and no matter how wrong their beliefs are, they just will not change. Kind of like politics. :mrgreen:

Ever talk to someone from Maryland about doing a crab boil or clam bake in California? Every bit as closed-minded at times.

No offense taken. I felt a little proud just reading it. It's funny cause it's true :)

Lived in Texas for about 3 years. Had a friend from Alaska there and he told a true Texan, who was bragging about the size of the state, that they could make 2 states out of Alaska and both would still be bigger than Texas. The texan was not amused. :biggrin1:

Growing up I thought BBQ was grilling hotdogs and hamburgers or meat with bbq sauce on it. Boy was I mistaken. Now I live in the Carolina's and I KNOW that pork is the only true BBQ. :wink:

There is a great book called "Holy Smoke" that talks all about Carolina Q as a religion and for some it is. They even talk of the mustard sauce heresy, which I subscribe to. It is tongue-in-cheek but holds a lot of truth about regional views of bbq. I'm with others who like most other types of BBQ. I may have my favorites and razz people about their regional variations but, if you like it, eat it. Although if what a guy at work fed me is West Virginia BBQ I'll pass. But I think he just didn't know how to season it properly.

Last edited:
Lived in Texas for about 3 years. Had a friend from Alaska there and he told a true Texan, who was bragging about the size of the state, that they could make 2 states out of Alaska and both would still be bigger than Texas. The texan was not amused. :biggrin1:

Growing up I thought BBQ was grilling hotdogs and hamburgers or meat with bbq sauce on it. Boy was I mistaken. Now I live in the Carolina's and I KNOW that pork is the only true BBQ. :wink:

There is a great book called "Holy Smoke" that talks all about Carolina Q as a religion and for some it is. They even talk of the mustard sauce heresy, which I subscribe to. It is tongue-in-cheek but holds a lot of truth about regional views of bbq. I'm with others who like most other types of BBQ. I may have my favorites and razz people about their regional variations but, if you like it, eat it. Although if what a guy at work fed me is West Virginia BBQ I'll pass. But I think he just didn't know how to season it properly.

Oh yeah, Carolina folks are some proud folks to when it comes to bbq. LOL!!!

It would be a lot like asking you to try out a "War Eagle" avatar on your account here for a while :)

About 8 years ago, when I had a membership to costco, I bought a cryo of tri tips, and cooked a couple up to a nice med rare for a small benefit at a local bar.

A bunch of uninvited bikers (I got nothing against bikers) strolled in the bar and started eating all of the tri tip. I overheard one of the biggest dudes say "This is really good brisket!". LOL!

Back on topic, I'm from southern CA, and never experienced good BBQ till I moved to Texas, but don't have that beef only attitude. I love anything that makes my tummy happy! Actually prefer pulled chuckie over brisket any day. Most occasional brisket bbq'ers down here don't even know that pulled chuck roast exists, they only do brisket and sides..

It's comical when you give someone real smoked BBQ for the first time. It's almost like a religious experience.

The first time my father tried my pulled pork without any sauce, I thought he was gonna cry.
He still raves about that first taste.

I am from North Georgia, and the only BBQ i knew as a kid growing up was Pulled Pork. I found out about Brisket from this site, after I got into smoking. I made a Brisket, and I thought it was really good, but it was not BBQ to me. It was more like grilled pot roast or something... if that makes sense. It did not taste like pot roast, but it was a big hunk of beef, like my mom used to make in the crock pot. Now, my Brisket was much better than any pot roast I have ever had... and I served it at a football tailgate party, and all my friends from Georgia who were not really familar with Brisket really like it as well.

Back