Whole Rib Eye VS Standing Rib Roast

Camille Eonich

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I'm flip flopping back and forth between cooking a whole rib eye or a standing rib roast on the BGE. Does the whole rib eye cook any quicker than a standing rib roast or do they require about the same amount of time per lb? Are there any benefits to cooking the rib roast over the boneless whoe rib eye because the whole rib eye just seems to be easier to work with than the rib roast?

Also, what about getting the Au ju when you're grilling? Do you just use the drippings from the pan that is used on top of the plate setter?

HELP!!! LOL

I prefer the rib eye over standing rib roast because it's easier for me to find whole ribeye around here. (On the other hand, tossing the rib section back onto the cooker after trimming it off is pretty awesome too!).

As far as au jus, I like to put a cup or two of beef broth and a teaspoon of my beef rub in the drip pan for extra flavor!
DSC_0978Medium.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That looks awesome!!!!!!!!!

It's a good thing ya can't gain weight from pics

if you don't get the bone-in, you will be mising the best part!

eddie2009-061.jpg

eddieclassicII-083.jpg

I'll take which ever I can find the best grade and price on at the time I'm needing one. For me, they cook about the same, with/wo the bones.

Here is one we did a month or so back.
DSC_3394.jpg

Dang I love Dino Bones! As previously stated; buy with bones for the rib meat. Any Butcher or most grocery store Meat Cutters will take a roast, cut off the ribs and tie them back on so you can cook the ribs with or at another time as the roast.

im also gonna say get the whole roast, and trim off the ribs, and tie back on. I do mine at about 450 5 min a lb, than drop the temp to 200 and let it sit til you hit 125-130, let stand and slice away. The best prime rib you'll eat is when you cook the whole roast, bones in and all, to 120degrees, pull, let it rest, than put in the fridge. Next day, cut off bones, those go back in the smoker, slice the prime rib as thick as you'd like, throw a lil rub on it, and put it under the broiler.

I like the whole roasts with the bones attached for two reasons. One I kike to gnaw on the bones when I am through with the slab o' beef. Two I use the bones as a thickness guide for cutting my slabs:icon_bigsmil

Back