FBA Question

lcbateman3

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
We are toying with idea coming down to Florida to do a FBA comp next year.

Just wondering differences between KCBS and FBA are and what should I look for. Also any comps y'all suggest?

No garnish, 1 hr between turn-ins are the big ones.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

As to FBA contests, I've been to Thomaston & Dothan & both have been very good as far as I'm concerned for teams, judges & crowds.
As to judging +1 to Sauced also on your score sheet you can tell more if you were on a low/high scoring table plus scoring is in 1/2pt increments w/ 10 being highest. Doesn't matter if you're backyard or pro team, you get judged by certified judges not just people off the street like many KCBS backyard/shadetree events.

Minimum of 8 servings/pieces as opposed to 6 for KCBS. What months are you looking at? I'd be happy to make suggestions. A very friendly, social, open group of people!

Lots to choose from. Let us know what month you'd prefer and we can critique the contest. Almost all are great although a few are impossible to get into and some may have power issues but overall facilities are better than KCBS.

Biggest difference is no garnish and fill the box. 9 or more chicken, 12 to 15 ribs, 5 lbs of pork, 10 or more slices of brisket with lots of burnt ends. Making boxes takes some practice. Flavor profile similar to upper Midwest.

One of the top 10 in the country IMO. Very hard to get into. Start now and keep checking for openings.
February 1-2, 2013 9th Annual Citrus Center Boys & Girls Clubs
"Smoke on the Water" BBQ - Winter Haven, FL
Frank Csomos - 1615 High Point Court SW - Winter Haven, FL 33880
(863)-287-3075 or (863)-294-5400

First year contest but $20,000 up for grabs!
February 8-10, 2013 The Old Florida Outdoor Festival - Apopka, FL
There will be a Backyard Chili Cookoff on Sunday, February 10th
City of Apopka, Florida - 175 East 5th Street - Apopka, FL 32703
Chuck Carnesale - (407)-703-1756

Not done this one but it's at the state capital, should be good.
February 15-17, 2013 Southeast Regional Pigfest - Tallahassee, FL
Note: This is a 3-day event. Turn-in and Judging, though, will be on Saturday.
Diane Haggerty - 309 Office Plaza Drive - Tallahassee, FL 32301
(850)-222-2043

Pretty good, at a Catholic school.
March 15-17, 2013 VikingFest Bar-B-Que Cookoff - Fort Myers, FL
Note: The Backyard Contest is on Sunday, March 17th.
Donny Overholser - 5598 Sunrise Drive - Fort Myers, FL 33902
(239)-872-7787

Have not cooked this one but have heard good things.
March 22-23, 2013 Fire Ant Festival BBQ Bash - Ashburn, GA
Gail Wells - Fire Ant Festival - P.O. Box 2864 - Ashburn, GA 31714
(229)-567-3436

I can't wait till january hope to do the tour again. Swamp buggys at ziggy dicks in naples, rodeo in ft pierce is a favorite cowboys pigout.hopefully dundee will be happening again. All listed on the web www.flbbq.org last week in january is the lakeland pigfest nice places and good times. Damon does the best one in july smokin on the suwannee that is a must do event I would recommend to all.

My mom is about to move to the Naples area so we are looking to pull in a comp when we visit her so any more info is great!!! Thanks!

• Thanks
Reactions: Rub
Venice is good. Lots of space. They have worked on improving the infrastructure. Ziggy dicks in January is excellent. Vikingfest is a little crowded but for a first year was very good. All close to Naples. Punts Gorda also good. All these contests will draw the heavy hitters in FBA.

Plan to setup Thursday and you'll have lots of time to talk with folks. We may even share some box pics with you. No garnish sure was a challenge for me initially and it showed in appearance scores. Fill the box really means lots of meat.

Back