Ouch! Need cheaper turkey.

Saiko

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I'm plan on smoking two whole turkey breasts on the WSM and then slicing and freezing for sammiches. I've smoked tons of whole turkeys, usually around the holidays so prices are cheap since most places use turkeys as loss leaders.
Now though, turkey are full price, and the breasts are even worse. My local grocery has turkey breasts for about 25 bucks a pop, so two breasts are going to run me 50 bucks.
I checked Costco today and they only have cooked turkey breasts. Anybody have any ideas where I can score some uncooked turkey breasts cheep?

I saw a wild one today on the street, could be laws against it but he didn't seem to move too fast and just a little bit o' work to clean him up and its free (just don't get caught)

In our neck o'the woods we have a chain called "Cash & Carry" and it's used by a lot of smaller grocery stores, mom & pop restaurants, etc. They always carry frozen 13lb turkeys - which fit nicely on a rotisserie, my smoker or my Big Easy infrared fryer.

There may be something similar in you area - worth checking out with some local restaurants or pubs you know.

They also sell vac-sealed pork shoulders, ribs, sirloin, rib eye, etc. so great for catering and parties. It's only Select beef, but usually pretty decent.

I will usually hit up a Gordon Food Service (GFS) similar to Restaurant Depot for off season items.

You are correct that you pay a premium off season in the regular supermarkets, as the product does not move as fast and shelf/freezer space is money ticking away.

Restaraunts serve items year round, and the prices are more held in check because of consistant, yet lower, demand.

Edited to add:

And at my GFS, you can even place an order and pay pre-printed prices. No up charge for ordering. Check your local supply houses

If you have one nearby, Restaurant Depot has frozen, boneless turkey breasts for $1.69 lb. They come two to a case so for about $30 +/-, you can really stock the freezer.

Good luck.

My Sam's usually carry the frozen breasts year round. Ocassionally you can't find them there as they don't keep as many in the off season.

I will usually hit up a Gordon Food Service (GFS) similar to Restaurant Depot for off season items.

If you have one nearby, Restaurant Depot has frozen, boneless turkey breasts for $1.69 lb.

There is a Restaurant Depot in my area, but they are wholesale only. Don't you need a business license to shop there? I did manage to find the Publix brand here in Atlanta for $1.99 a pound, which is much better than the $2.99 a pound they wanted for Butterball.

There is a Restaurant Depot in my area, but they are wholesale only. Don't you need a business license to shop there? I did manage to find the Publix brand here in Atlanta for $1.99 a pound, which is much better than the $2.99 a pound they wanted for Butterball.

Yes, you do need either a business license or be part of a not for profit organization such as a church etc. Depending on where you work, ask the boss for a copy of their license. RD doesn't care what KIND of business it is and they will give you 4 membership cards. There are no individual names or photos on the card (like Sams etc.) so once you're signed up, (and that is free), you're good to go. Take your own jacket in there or you'll be borrowing one of theirs while you're browsing through the walk in freezer.

Kroger has turkey breasts for 1.79 a pound in today's ad supplement here in the Atlanta area.

Kroger has turkey breasts for 1.79 a pound in today's ad supplement here in the Atlanta area.

Yeah, a friend of mine just emailed me with the same info. I already bought the two publix breasts though, I should have waited one more day! Oh well, thanks for all the info, I'll post some Pron when I smoke them next weekend.

Back