Tank Size for Propane Torch?

HeSmellsLikeSmoke

somebody shut me the fark up.
Does everyone just man up and use a 50 lb propane tank with their propane torch? Seems a bit heavy to haul out to start the charcoal every time.

My new torch just arrived from Harbor Freight and looks like a good one.

I use a 20lb but that is only because they are easy to swap out when I run out. Don't have too many places that like to fill personal tanks by my house.

I think any 5/10/20/50/100/+ tank will work, they'll just run out faster, but be less of a hassle to move around.

Twenty pounder is what I use. I would be fed up with the 50 pound after the first time I had to move it to light some coals. I guess you could get a real long hose.

U-haul has an adapter that will let you use the small disposable tanks - called a Steak Saver and is about $20. Won't last too long if you use the turbo a lot but otherwise, works pretty well with my lg. BGE.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Unfortunately, I have to move my smokers out of the garage every time i use them so will have to move the tank too. Sounds like the 20 lb might be the answer. They only have the 50 pounder around here as far as i can tell, but i bet I can find a 20 pounder somewhere.

Just curious, I never see 50lb tanks. Are you talking about the ones that fit underneath a grill or the ones like forklifts use?

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Unfortunately, I have to move my smokers out of the garage every time i use them so will have to move the tank too. Sounds like the 20 lb might be the answer. They only have the 50 pounder around here as far as i can tell, but i bet I can find a 20 pounder somewhere.

You might be able to use a dolly to make it easier. Lowes or any place that sells propane should have the 20 #.

Just curious, I never see 50lb tanks. Are you talking about the ones that fit underneath a grill or the ones like forklifts use?

I asked at the at Ace Hardware store, where they have the Blue Rhino swap tank system out front. The guy said they were 50 pounders, but i didn't check it out. They looked too big to deal with so I left.

Ahh, those are most likely 20lb tanks. They may have been close to 50 in total weight but contain only 20lbs of propane. If you are looking for smaller, look in camping sections of stores and you'll probably need to get an adapter.

I've got a little pancake tank from a Char-Broil Patio Caddy that I keep in the trailer for the torch. Added a QR fitting and its a breeze to use. The deck torch has wheels on the tank.

all the swap tanks are 20 pounders....that's 20lbs of propane and not weight of tank it's self. I got a deal years ago on a little 5 pounder that i use in late fall with a little heater for the boat. it's also ideal for a weed burner as easy to move around. downside is..the smaller 5 and 10lb tanks are outrageously expensive compared to the more "standard" 20 pounders.

I use the 20# tank, yeah it's heavy if you have to move it in and out all the time but not that bad...

I doubt the small camping stove size would last long enough to be worth it...

Instead of dedicating a dolly to the task, check out the trash can isle @ lowes or HD and look for a trash can dolly. It's a small flat disc with 5 caster wheels on it, I think the base of the tank would sit almost perfectly on the center of the dolly to make a compact little transport device or might be modified to work...

You can use a little tank like for a camping stove and Harbor Freight has a adaptor to fill these little tanks off of a 20lb. one.

Here is your tank torch.

ju7od3.jpg

I sit a 20lb bottle inside a milk crate. Fits perfect and keeps the bottle from tipping over. Also, it's easier to carry around.

Geez Paul, I thought that you might take this opportunity to show off some pics of your nifty ultra light tank that you bought at the HPB Expo... No?

Back