The lowballing continues

grillfella

is one Smokin' Farker
Well boys I finally told this guy I would do 2 trays of teriyaki chicken (leg meat) for $100 bucks. (I may get some future business out of this, but I am probably screwing myself) Anyway other people are bringing other food for about 40 people, I get a call today and it turns out it will only be a party of about 17. He wanted to know if that lowers the price. (can you believe this farking guy). I said no that was the negotiated price and we were not doing it by the person cost wise. Anyway he said he would get back to me tomorow:-D

At some point it is not worth dealing with the hassle, sometimes you need to just walk away

Bottom line is its $100 bucks, and thats not $100 bucks profit, you have to pay for the chicken. And for this cheap ass I would almost pay $100 to tell him to take a flying leap. Especially if the future business is with this guy, but if it is with who is going to be eating it then that is different. Unless you are trying to get in with who is eating, I would tell the guy to find $100 worth of food at McDonalds, McRibs are back!!!

Why don't you put together some kind of menu and set your prices? Refer any negotiations to that list, and if they don't like your pricing, tell 'em to fark off!

Tell him what he need to do is go to McDonalds and eat their FoQue for all the trouble he's caused you this week.:icon_sick
Just tell him you heard their Mcrib is awesome.:eek: :eek: :eek:

Simple and diplomatic answer:

"Sorry, I am busy that day. I wish you luck" :lol:

End of saga without "burning bridges".

FWIW

TIM

It's time to walk away from this one.

However, if you plan to go forward with the deal, get paid in full up front.
This is the kind of guy who will wait for you to deliver the food then tell you that he wants the price lowered or there is not deal.

Two issues with this - first issue - 100.00? It's not worth the effort. You think about it and you're not making much on the effort unless you are already cooking for something or someone else.

Second issue - even if you are trying to impress this guy or whoever is supposed to be there - this guy's going to brag about how he beat you down on price and while it's always good for the guy doing it, generally doesn't give a good impression to the other people.

Simple and diplomatic answer:

"Sorry, I am busy that day. I wish you luck" :lol:

End of saga without "burning bridges".

FWIW

TIM

I agree with Tim, dump his ass at the last minute for low balling you!

Paybacks are a good feeling in this case. :-D

This sounds like the kind of guy you can never satisfy. Save your good reputation and take the advice above....diplomatically

Eveyone, not just you, needs to figure out what your price is per hour and stick to it. Then on top of that add the cost for the meat/food. That is the only way to figure it out. That includes prep time and cook time as well as serving time or delivery time. If you can not make money, just say no. If someone else out there is willing to take the beating, stick around, because they will be out of business soon enough.

That said, chicken leg meat isn't all that appealing and at $100 the guy was probably thinking the same thing.

I would just say, this is what the meat costs and this is my minimum charge for a small job (you gotta have a minimum price), then (either he can take it or leave it, but you don't have to make it seem like an ultimatum) you don't have any room to be beaten down.

Sounds to me like you were trying to get additional work out of the guy and he could be one of those guys that tries to beat you down on every gig. Then again maybe not. Once you establish the low price he will expect you to stick to it. Then again, asking him how much additional work might be out there and what are the stipulations for getting that additional work.

Back