What happened in Myrtle Beach?

bbqbrad

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Can anyone who was there say what happened? I'm hearing 2nd hand stuff on Facebook...

I heard a tray of chicken boxes was dumped over and a pork box was lost. I heard it second hand after turn ins were over. It wasnt a very organized contest at all.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Holy cow. If HALF what I'm now seeing is true... Holy sh@t...

IDK about the overturned chicken boxes. I hope mine was on that "alleged" overturned tray and the judges had to wipe off gravel to eat it. Or, SC judges hate my chicken (which may be more accurate) which would explain my "less than spectacular" chicken scores.

I DO know that "Is this your chicken box? OR is this your CHICKEN box?" was the question posed to my neighbor by the Rep. It was due to 2 teams having the same turn in number. He handled it a lot better than most I may add.

Those that were directly involved can provide a more accurate statement. I am curious to hear the story behind the "alleged" lost pork box after turn in and how it was handled.

Overall, heat, wet ground and lack of adequate electricity may have made this contest a lot more disorganized than it appeared. IDK, I was sweating too much to care...

I've heard trucks were towed,...

"So if not enough water or electricity, no communication between organizers,reps and teams,the reps loosing my pork turn in box,not giving me a sauce turn in cup (only asked 5 times),and our neighbor gets kicked out for vending the same as last year ( that communication thing again) was not enough, the wonderful event organizers unplugged my electric cord( for fridge only) yesterday to remove hose but FAILED to plug it back in.......YEEHAA what a great event NOT!"

"Lets not forget ..oh yeah, you wont be able to head out till after fireworks around 10pm.. got that notification thursday on the road there!! Please fill out the kcbs critique for this event, it will have an impact on future sanctioning.."

"Lets not forget rib turn in when no one showed up to receive boxes until 12:26."

"Also at 11:35 cop comes around told me to move my truck right as I was doing chicken. So after I moved it they told me I could leave where it was. So I said need to get ur **** strait. Won't be back."

"Your right, everyone's talking about it. I'm surprised teams still show up..they must like to get their trucks towed. Or maybe they like to have to be held by police till after the fireworks Saturday night. Seems that the cookers are the last ones they take care of."

I don't think you can blame this in KCBS or SBN. Sounds like an organizer problem....

Sounds like there were a few problems, that's too bad. I heard there were issues last year but they were handled and the contest was supposedly headed in the right direction. Sounds like maybe not quite yet.

I had thought about doing this contest, tie it in with a visit to the in-laws. Glad they came here! :clap2:

The organizers called Thursday am to say we had to wait until after fireworks to leave. Fortunately we were right by the entrance so once awards were done we packed up and left. No one said anything glad we didn't get stuck. We had power issues as well. Their idea of power is a daisy chain of power boxes with everyone sharing. That is after charging an extra 50 for campers.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
They couldn't judge ribs yet they were at my place asking me to id chicken.

Listening to BBQ superstars radio show talking about it right now.

It seemed that the organizers were overwhelmed. We didn't know anything about giving away food to the public, so from about 11:30 until 1, we had to tell about 500 people that we didn't have any samples, and wouldn't until 1, and even then we wouldn't have much. I felt bad for the public as well since I'm sure we weren't the only ones that had to do this, and they had just paid $10 to get samples from all of the teams. We also got a spot close to the baseball parking lot, and just carried all of our stuff out of there as soon as turn-ins were over, and left right after awards. I really hate that this one wasn't better as it is by far the closest one to us.

I will see how long it takes me to get my refund due to me pulling out after them calling me Thursday to let me know about the no leaving til after fireworks. The organizer had called me the previous week because I was not hiding my disgust in the contest from the previous year, and guaranteeing the same problems would not occur this year (having police come by as I am dipping my chicken in sauce, being threatened with arrest due to wanting to leave after awards, and then list goes on). What was I going to do, it was the closest contest to me this week, so I decided that with the organizer taking the time to get in touch with me personally that I would give it a try.......glad that I decided to pull out and drive an additional 4 hours each way to VA......I suspect that it will not be in existence again next year....but, then again, I have heard that before about this one....

Wow! Now I'm really glad we didn't cook this one! I will cross this one off the list unless organization is changed completely. Can't wait to hear the real story.

How do you lose a pork box? How do you drop a tray of chicken? Were these people (organizers, reps), doing all the drinking?

They couldn't judge ribs yet they were at my place asking me to id chicken.

Did the chicken in the other box spell out "Eat Mor Chikn"? If so, that was my box they had.

:grin:

You handled that better than me friend and you should be commended on that.

Back