well it seemed like a good idea at the time

pahutchens

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I was really in a Reuben mood and thought I would throw a store bought corned beef on the UDS today along with the other meats.
After looking at the pastrami instructions decided I wasn't properly prepared.
I didn't have time to pre-soak the meat to leach out the extra salt.
I trust my brethren so the corned beef is now soaking for a smoke later this week.
I'm guessing my usual boiling of a corned beef gets most of that salt out in that cooking method.:confused:

The ribs are chugging along nicely working a 2-2-1, my last 3-2-1 were overcooked.
Also double smoking a Ham for ham salad and a soup bone

I haven't done a pastrami, yet. However, double smoked ham makes for some great pulled ham sammies!!

Matt

I'd rinse it real good & soak it for an hour. Pat it dry & give it a nice crushed pepper & crushed coriander coating & throw it on until it hits 160F. Foil it & let it sit for an hour & then slice it or in the fridge it goes. Just do it!!! Cheers!!!

Oh ya, double smoked ham is to die for!

Instead of a 2-2-1 try a 3-1-1, the overcooking comes easily with so much time in foil

Yes, the boiling and the potatoes pulls a lot of the salt out. I now soak my corned beef even if I am going to boil it, as the lower salt profile soaking gives is preferable to me. My mom used to double boil the meat, once alone and once with the vegetables.

I don't foil at all, and can get em done in 4 hours or less @ 275.

The key for me is don't peak, don't spritz, don't mop, listen to 'em weep, and pull 'em off when weeping starts to subside. No sauce required.

Back