Grizzly Coolers

motoeric

Babbling Farker
Hi,

As we're moving into the new comp season here in the north east (I can't believe it snowed again today), I was wondering if anyone has tried any of the Grizzly brand coolers and what your impressions were.

I know that a few Brethren use them, but I haven't seen any discussions yet.

Eric

I am sponsored by them. I was a Yeti owner prior but when I saw the Grizzly Coolers I sold my Yeti right away and made the switch. Great handles, great drains, roto-molded (like what kayaks are made of), keeps ice for a long time, great latches, life time warranty, come in colors, and made in the USA. Also slightly less $$ than that other one, plus they are in stock. It's a no-brainer if you ask me. Message me and I will put you in touch with Mitchell who takes care of us.

I own the 150, 60 and 16.

At first look, they appear very similar to the Yeti line. Had a look at one of those 2 weekends ago, very sturdy, fairly heavy, and a similar price tag to the grizz

oops, I defer to Swamp Boys!:roll:

I can buy a refrigerator for $450.

I also don't have a need to keep ice for 7 days.

From what I see, the only people that have them and who lug them around are the people that are getting them for free.

Flame on

I can buy a refrigerator for $450.

I also don't have a need to keep ice for 7 days.

From what I see, the only people that have them and who lug them around are the people that are getting them for free.

Flame on

You can buy some 7 day coolers under $100. I think peace of mind is important. How many thousands of dollars of hard to obtain meat will grace the cooler over time?

If you can afford it, why not?. For the other 98% of the population.........

my $45 coleman keeps ice for 5 days I ain't gonna be stranded on an island away from civilization with my comp meat so I agree majority of people that have them are sponsored. I just wish my facebook feed would quit blowing up by people saying I am sponsored by this and that it is beginning to be the end to comp bbq I am afraid too much money.

I have a number of coolers of various brands and I'm not really satisfied with any of them.

I certainly don't get 5 days of ice out of any of them, one of them has water in the lid that I can't get rid of (and must be rancid by now) and none of them are large enough to haul everything for a comp.

If you're investing thousands of dollars in competitions (or hunting or some such), it might be worth it. If not, maybe not.

Eric

There are a whole line of high-end coolers such as Grizzly, Yeti, Engle and Pelican to name a few. They are typically found much more in the outdoors arenas where there is more of a need for heavier duty coolers.

Most offer some nice features such as better handles, lockable lids, built in tie downs and better feet. Some are even bear proof. I don't know many people who switch back to igloos or Rubbermaids after they use a high end model.

Not sure about the Grizzly specifically, I haven't had hands on but from what I have read they seem to be good units.

I don't know many people who switch back to igloos or Rubbermaids after they use a high end model.
So true. I live in FL and have worn out more crappy coolers competing in bbq and fishing than I ever should have. I'm tired of buying disposable coolers.

I'm pretty sure sponsorships aren't going to ruin competition bbq. I don't follow...

I'd heard of Yeti and Grizzly, but I wasn't familiar with the other two. I should pay better attention.

I'm just not sure where the controversy is. I use a Weber kettle. I have two OTP's and I'm VERY happy with them. They do a fantastic job and last for years and years. If I had the money I would gladly swap one of them out for a BGE. I think that's a reasonable corollary to the cooler situation.

The premium coolers seem to be sturdier, more effective, better constructed and last longer than the rubbermaid or igloo versions. They are also more expensive. The less expensive versions do a great job. That's what I currently use. Would I like to upgrade? Sure.

For some people the quality is worth the investment, for others it isn't. It's certainly not a harbinger of the death of competition BBQ to have some teams using them.

Eric

I've been close to buying a premium cooler like a Grizzly a few times but then I go look at the $65 coleman extreme and have found it hard to justify.

Do you need a Porsche cooler? No. Do you want one? Of course you do. If you have an extra $400 I say go for it.

Do you need a Porsche cooler? No. Do you want one? Of course you do. If you have an extra $400 I say go for it.

Foreget the Porsche coolers. If you have an extra $400, then find another $25 and take Chris Hart's class! :thumb:

Now to get back on topic, my Igloo and Coleman coolers keep my meats cold for as long as I have needed them to. Not to mention that if I somehow lost or destroyed them that I wouldn't cry.

Last edited:
I've been close to buying a premium cooler like a Grizzly a few times but then I go look at the $65 coleman extreme and have found it hard to justify.

says the guy with a Jambo
:becky::becky:

The expense may put some people off, but like anything else, there are choices that appeal to some and not to others.

I'm actually in the process of upgrading my coolers to the higher end models because like Rub, I'm tired of dealing with replacing coolers or their parts. I'm don't want to have to deal with broken handles. lids and hinges. Granted may of the hardships these high end coolers offer protection against are not the kind of thing you face at an average contest, I like the ruggedness they provide.

One of the other big selling points for me is also the ability to lock and secure the lids most of these offer. I am finding myself traveling to contests more and more and I would like to be able to lock my cooler when I fly in to a contest. I also have an open trailer and being able to lock the cooler securely to the floor is an added bonus.

I have also been happy with my coleman extreme. Holds all my meat when cold and will fit full pans during hot holding.

To each there own....Yeah, I would like a cambro and bear proof cooler for camping. Just too many toys to buy. Those come later for me.

A little more on where I'm coming from...

I work (teach) in a rough neighborhood. I leave from work on Fridays and head straight to the contest most times which means I have my meats with me. About 6 months ago someone from the 'hood decided to go into my Walmart cooler and take my Creekstone prime briskets, ribs, and butts. Fortunately a bbq buddy was able to help me out and meet me at the contest with more meat. Not Creekstone briskets but it worked. Now I can lock my coolers, and lock my coolers into my truck bed and trailer. Having $200 in meat stolen was enough for me.

My thoughts on the ice retention: do I need 7+ days of ice retention? Sometimes yes, when I do road trip contests. But here's the more important thing to me about 7+ days of ice retention. In 2 or 3 days into it I will still have quality ice in my cooler and not mostly water with a few cubes floating around. My sauce bottles aren't taking on cooler water and getting diluted which has happened to me. My meats aren't slushing in a cooler of water, maybe with a broken cryovac and getting water logged. That too has happened to me. With these coolers I still have real good ice 3 days into it and I don't have to worry about those things.

Doing 25-30 contests a year, for me it's a no brainer. They are not for everybody but they earn their keep with me.

And there you have it. While we've competed in some extreme heat conditions without cooler issues, we haven't yet gotten burned on needing to lock it either.

I have cooler envy, just like I have cooker envy, but we do fine with the low-end stuff for now.

Here's my point-

Many teams seem to be working towards or already have a nice, enclosed cook trailer. And I'd say that 99% of those who have acquired a Yeti or Grizzly sponsored cooler have a cook trailer or RV.

Most everytime I get home from a contest on Saturday night, I tell my wife that I want to stop screwin' with those stinking coolers. Yes, because the ice has melted and everything in them is soaking wet (not necessarily taken on water).

If I had an enclosed trailer, I'd be using a fridge. End of discussion. No cooler envy for me. I have trailer envy.

Another item that has struck me is that it appears Grizzly has sought out the folks who were proud to have a Yeti, acquired them as newly sponsored teams...and those teams have dumped their Yeti coolers like a hot rock.

Back