Re-heat ribs and keep 'em juicy

rakerb

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
:confused: Brethren, I need some suggestions on a method to re-heat cooked ribs. I am participating in a bragging rights rib cook off at work, we are all cooking ribs this weekend and bringing in a half dozen to share with each other and see who makes the best. I want to avoid drying them out, and there is no way to BBQ at work. No oven, just some microwaves. Any suggestions or great tricks? The ribs will have to be refrigerated when I bring them in.

When i do ribs I cook as much as i can and the wrap them in saran wrap, foil and then vac u suck them and into the freezer. To warm them I unwrap them put them into a deep baking dish and cover with foil and put into a 250 degree preheated oven, not a fan of sauce, so just like that for about 1/2 hour and them come out steamy good.

Get up at 2a.m. Monday and cook them, they will be done around 6 ish, then you can shower, and go to work and take in a fresh rack.

Sounds like a fun contest, and at least everyone is equal as far as cooking ahead and reheating.

• I'm thinking you need to start working ahead of the actual reheat, to insure both a moist rib and one that will reheat well. My first thought is to use spare ribs. They are fattier and usually meatier than baby backs. They will hold up better when reheated.
  • I'm thinking a foil step, for maybe 45 minutes to an hour, will give you the tenderness you want, but also keep them moist. I would also let them cool in the foil, but drain most of the foil juice and save in a small jar to use as a sauce after you reheat. I would seal the foil and refrigerate the rack whole.
  • My next thought is once they are cold, do the proud cut, which means you pick one bone and slice as close to each adjacent rib as you can. This gives you a rib with plenty of meat on both sides. Of course you have to discard the next rib, but you alternate down the rack in order to get 5 or 6 ribs you are "proud" to serve. You could always cook 2 racks so you would have plenty to choose from.
  • As far as reheating, a vacuum bag in a hot water bath is hard to beat. Do you have access to a big Nesco type of table top roaster? If not, the microwave looks like your only other choice. I would reheat that foil liquid in the jar first and set it aside. Then I would spray the ribs with apple juice or Coca-Cola and warm them in the wave, being very careful. Then I would plate them and brush on the liquid from the jar OR mix the warm liquid with some warm sauce and brush on that mixture.

Anytime I reheat stuff in the microwave, I like to cover with a damp paper towel (or towel).

Microwaves (i'm told) boil the moisture out of stuff by agitating the water molecules, thus creating heat. I guess my thought is the water on the towel will also get agitated and just maybe that means the water molecules in the food won't boil off quite as much = moister food.

Plastic wrap helps hold the food moisture closer to the food, but I find providing extra water with a wet towel works even better.

You only have microwaves, so here's what I would do. Wrap the ribs in foil or plastic wrap then vacu-pack the whole rack. Then, when you go to work, put rack (still in the bag) flat in the bottom of a roasting pan. Heat some water in the microwave and pour the hot water into the roasting pan with the ribs. The cold ribs will cool the water, so drain and repeat a couple of times until the water stays hot. Once the ribs have been in hot water for about 20 minutes they'll be ready to open up and serve. Now heat some of your favorite sauce in the microwave, slice the ribs, sauce and serve. They'll be almost as good as when they came off the cooker.

I have reheated ribs in the microwave and when I have them vacuum packed, I have a big pot that I boil water in and let them sit in the water for a while [ still in the bag ]. Both ways seem to work out for me but if you micro wave you should keep it to a minimum.

I would indeed vacpac if possible. If all you have to work with is a microwave just put the entire pack in there unopened. I would suggest poking a few small holes in the plastic so steam can escape. In lieu of a vacpac I would double wrap in plastic and follow the same method. Be gentle with the mickeywave and you should be fine.

Can you bring in a crockpot? If so, I'd vacuum pack and put them in a crockpot full of water and crank it up.

Very good information! Thanks guys!

Can you bring in a crockpot? If so, I'd vacuum pack and put them in a crockpot full of water and crank it up.

PHEWW!!! When I first read this I thought you said put the ribs itself in the crock pot!!:shocked: I think I need a nap!:rolleyes:

You might want to wrap in saran wrap and warm in mircrowave

These are great tips! I think I am going to try the crockpot. I don't have a vac sealer, but I have used the Zip-loc Vacuum bags. They should handle a boil, right?

PHEWW!!! When I first read this I thought you said put the ribs itself in the crock pot!!:shocked: I think I need a nap!:rolleyes:

:icon_blush: while I do admit to doing that back in the day, before I knew what GOOD bbq was, I'd never suggest it now! lol.

"As far as reheating, a vacuum bag in a hot water bath is hard to beat. Do you have access to a big Nesco type of table top roaster? If not, the microwave looks like your only other choice. I would reheat that foil liquid in the jar first and set it aside. Then I would spray the ribs with apple juice or Coca-Cola and warm them in the wave, being very careful. Then I would plate them and brush on the liquid from the jar OR mix the warm liquid with some warm sauce and brush on that mixture"

I'll second what Thirdeye said:thumb:

These are great tips! I think I am going to try the crockpot. I don't have a vac sealer, but I have used the Zip-loc Vacuum bags. They should handle a boil, right?

yes they will. and this is what i'd do.

The contest went well, I came in second to a much more experienced BBQ'er. Missed by one point (he scored 189 and I was 188 on our mock KCBS style points).
I did the Vacuum Ziplocs and used hot water from the coffee maker to heat them up, with a final zap in the microwave.

Thanks again everyone!
Brad :-D

I bring in leftovers to work often and all we have is a microwave. I've found reheating them for longer periods at 30-40% power works well. For example, a half rack of St Louis, I'll heat for 10 minutes @ 30%. I hate the taste of microwaved ribs if they start to sizzle, this way it seems they never start to sizzle but heat gently through.

Back