THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bill, I didn't enter the deguerre and Redhot revenge TD, either, for the same basic reason. I couldn't think of anything creative to cook for it -- and it was a holiday week so I was jammed for time on that one, too.

If this was not a short and busy week for me, I propbably would have gone shopping for the sausage stuffer kit for my Kitchenaid stand mixer. It would have been fun to make my first sausage at home.

This throwdown just came at a bad time for me. But, I think I'll add the sausage thingy to my Christmas list, so in the future, I'll be "ready for a Throwdown." :becky:

CD

Hi CD... it's all sweet Mate!

I don't enter every TD either. Still it was funny having a crack at you. Hope you thought so too! Me? I'm stressed as hell myself. 7 days more work before we close for Xmas break... I'm self employed too, you know and lots of deadlines need to be met. Cooking and Q'ing sure do relieve the stress though. When I'm uptight, there's nothing like a 6+ hour smoke and a few beers to chill me out.

Cheers!

Bill

I don't enter every TD either. Still it was funny having a crack at you. Hope you thought so too! Me? I'm stressed as hell myself. 7 days more work before we close for Xmas break... I'm self employed too, you know and lots of deadlines need to be met. Cooking and Q'ing sure do relieve the stress though. When I'm uptight, there's nothing like a 6+ hour smoke and a few beers to chill me out.

Cheers!

Bill

And if the 6+ hour smoke doesn't work out you can always just skip right to the beer.

Cheers!

Bill

This time of year always seems to take a toll on everybody. I am so happy to be going camping this weekend. I am bringing the WSM with me, and I picked up two butts at Costco today. My saturday will be spent smoking meat, sitting around a campfire, and I might have a beverage or two -- or six. :becky:

We do this campout every year, but I had to organize it this year, because the person who usually does it couldn't this year.

BTW, one of things I love about the throwdowns is the smartass commentary and smack-talk. So, I have no problem with you taking a crack at me. :thumb:

CD

I am working on it. Remember, you live in the future. Most of us are still reeling from the work week. I think we will see some entries popping up for you sausage lovers.

With multiple entries allowed and a fridge full of slaw components I almost feel compelled to throw something else together. Hmmm

Hmm, to phallic?

DSCN1305.jpg

I made up a simple meal today for the current Throwdown "Snags and Slaw". Apparently those crazy Aussies call sausages Snags :crazy: So, I tried to come up with some creative ways to cook some sausages and slaw but nothing ever really popped. There have already been some fantastic entries and I tried to keep it original but the TD topic is a little limiting.

I finally decided to cook up some brats that myself and some buddies made while processing venison several weeks ago. These came out great and we have a ton of them.

IMAG0768.jpg

So I started today with some ingredients for cole slaw based loosely on the recipe that deguerre has shared here on the forum. I wanted to kick it up a notch so I decided to add some roasted Hatch chilis, peppers, and some onion.

IMAG0836.jpg

Chopped up the peppers and onions and mixed up the sauce. My intention was to kick it up and mission accomplished! The peppers and onions added great flavor and a good heat. It was almost a little to much so I might cut back the volume next time or roast/sautee them first next time.

IMAG0837.jpg

IMAG0838.jpg

IMAG0839.jpg

I tired to come up with a creative presentation for the meal and the idea of a "cocktail" stuck in my mind. It worked so far with the slaw in this fancy glass that I have no idea why I have.

DSCN1298.jpg

Once the slaw was done the sausages went on the SJG cooking indirect for exactly some amount of time. I added a few small cherry chips for a little smoke flavor.

IMAG0840.jpg

IMAG0842.jpg

While the sausages were cooking I tried to do a little vacuuming but I was met with this passive protest to being productive.

IMAG0829.jpg

After said amount if exact time, the sausages were done and pulled off the grill.

IMAG0844.jpg

Now, here is where things just got silly. I was still trying to follow the "cocktail" idea. At first I wanted to rim the glass with sausage slices but that just wasn't working well. Then I had the brilliant idea to skewer the slices much like olives in a martini. Sure, great in theory. Probably would have worked fantastic if i was doing little smokies. Unfortunately, for a brat, the image just didn't come out right :shocked: I can only imagine what my neighbors thought when they see me outside taking pictures of this :tsk:

DSCN1305.jpg

A little modification and that looks a little better. However, I had to fight another attempt to sabotage my efforts. Maybe I should have taken it as a sign :tsk:

DSCN1308.jpg

There, that is better.

DSCN1309.jpg

After I took these pics I was shaking my own head. Just too fancy for a simple meal. Plus, I quickly realized that it was just about impossible to eat the slaw out of those farking glass thingees. Thus, I digressed back to my best Chinet and made up a meal that I could eat with dignity. It was delicious. The brats were made with a pre-mix from Cabelas with a 80/20 ration of venison to pork. They came out great. So good that I ate all four myself. The slaw was good too. The heat level was great and adding the peppers really added a different realm to the flavor.

DSCN1317.jpg

DSCN1321.jpg

Last edited:
Thought I'd give this one a go, a simple lunch on a day when it wasn't raining. Rare days lately.

Took some calssic cole slaw & broccoli slaw - fresh out of the bag - and mixed with sliced red onion & diced jalapenos.
This was mixed with a mayo & chili powder dressing.
DSC04494.jpg

Then whipped out a few links of portabelle & gouda pork sausage - delivered fresh from Snake River.
DSC04495.jpg

The links were laid to rest on a smoldering cedar plank.
DSC04497.jpg

DSC04498.jpg

Slice the links up, layers on some ''fresh' cole slaw then hit it with a shot (or three) of hot sauce.
DSC04500.jpg

Roll it up into a swag & slaw taco! Enjoying the simple life!
DSC04501.jpg

Great looking Snags and Slaw JZ... The shrooms and cheese in the snag sound good and I see they came from Boise, ID. I'll have to look for those locally. I love the idea of using the swag too. I'm going to have to remember that. Buns add so much bread they almost take away from the rest of the meal. Fantastic pics!

Snags 'n slaw! Love it. Went with a buffalo chicken sausage and blue cheese slaw for this throw down.
snag17.jpg

Boned out several pounds of thighs and added some cubed pork fat. I was looking for a 25% fat content.
snag16.jpg

I took all the chicken skin and hit it with salt, black pepper and cayenne. Grilled until crunchy, chopped them up and added that to the sausage mix.
snag10.jpg

snag9.jpg

snag7.jpg

I also added to the mix: salt, black pepper, white pepper, cayenne and garlic. I let that chill for several hours.
snag6.jpg

I twice ground the mix and added a mixture of Frank's extra hot sauce and butter, and stuffed into natural casings, and linked them up.
snag4.jpg
snag2.jpg

The slaw consisted of cabbage, carrots, celery, salt, black pepper, celery seeds, vinegar, mayo, buttermilk and blue cheese crumbled in. This stuff is good!
snag14.jpg
snag15.jpg

Cooked the snags indirect on Homey
snag21.jpg

snag20.jpg

Served up with some chips and more Frank's with melted butter. We're stoked with this one. The snags def had the classic buffalo chicken flavor and the blue cheese slaw was a killer accompaniment. It's a will do again thing:-D. Please use this shot, and thanks for looking.
snag18.jpg

Those are all some awesome looking snags, so much so that they made me crave a snag. Here's how it went.

I went with my favorite snag, not home made but very good...

Snags.jpg

And for you purists here's a Bloody snag...

BloddySnag.jpg

For the slaw I went with a Mediterranean inspired slaw, here are the ingredients for the slaw...

Slawingredients.jpg

I first thinly sliced half of a red onion and let it marinate in a mixture of red wine vinegar, water, kosher salt and sugar to lightly pickle. I then thinly sliced 3 bell peppers (red, yellow and orange) 1/2 of a cucumber, 1/4 cup of pitted Kalamata olives and about 1/4 cup grape tomatoes. Mixed it all together with about 1/3 of the vinegar mixture tossed it all together with some slaw mix and 1/3 cup Topo cheese seasoned to taste with salt, pepper and olive oil...

slaw2.jpg

The snags went on indirect with a piece of Greenleaf's wine infused oak. Then direct...

Directaction.jpg

The must have toasted sourdough roll...

Toastysourdough.jpg

And here is the money shot, please use this for the vote thread...

plated1-1.jpg

Take 2...

Plated4-1.jpg

Oh, lets not forget the bloody snag which will be breakfast in the morning...

Bloodysnag.jpg

This is why I love these throwdowns, once I found out what the fark a snag was I knew exactly what I wanted to do but I've never done it with a slaw before. I figured it would go well with a vinegar slaw but knew for sure it went well with bell peppers and onions so I though a Mediterranean inspired slaw should be the ticket.... FARK was it good, probably would have never tried it if not for this TD, so thanks to Smoking Aussie for the category and thanks to the brethren for looking. :thumb:

Did I mention there was cheese in the slaw... :becky:

Well, I haven't had a lot of time to put anything together. I grilled up some lovely hot dogs (that's an all-American sausage, btw). I love roast peppers, so I did some of those too:

IMG_4013.jpg

For some reason, ever since I was young, I loved carrot slaw, so I made some. I started with these funny looking carrots:

IMG_4012.jpg

and made a really simple slaw, like my grandmother used to make,

IMG_4014.jpg

except I didn't think raisins would be right in this one. When I put the slaw and peppers and hot dog on the plate and took the photos though, there was absolutely no way possible it was fit for this forum. It wasn't even fit for the Wood Pile. :shock: Really, all I have to show for my efforts is this empty plate that is my entry:

IMG_4026.jpg

At least that is where the food used to reside. Well, there is that other picture, .... :tsk:

I re-read the rules and realize I can't just submit an empty plate.

IMG_4024-1.jpg

Back