Baby Back or Spare Ribs?

G

gbh52

I'm guessing my question will get quite a response but I am truly curious as to peoples feelings regarding the pros and cons of which is best and why?

I have only cooked/smoked spare ribs at home but only had baby back when out to eat. Love them both. Assuming both are of high quality and prepared equally well, what are your thoughts?

:mod:

Spares are a little better, but either will get ya there if properly prepared.

I DO NOT like untrimmed Spares however. Give me a good St. Louis trimmed rack of Spares and I'm good.

I like them both, they are just different. The way I see it is, spares need to be cooked low and slow, where baby backs can be cooked a bit hotter if you are in a hurry. Both taste good when you do your part.

Since I'm on a strict budget (twins on the way), we go with the spares. More meat for your dollar. However, if money wasn't an issue, I would buy more BB's. Both are delicious when properly smoked. However, the spares have a slight advantage as the kiddos love the riblets after trimming St. Louis style.

Ya' know I could just never say no to those lovely little baby-backs:-D
That's pretty-much my preference.....However, I need to start to get a little more familiar with doing spares...Guess I better get started....

firecrackerjack

I like them both, they are just different. The way I see it is, spares need to be cooked low and slow, where baby backs can be cooked a bit hotter if you are in a hurry. Both taste good when you do your part.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I agree.

for some reason my ribs come out better when I go with BB.... Spares are good, but after going through the 12 racks I had in the freezer, none of them turned out as good as the BBs I started using when I first got the egg....

When at a restaurant I usually get spares because I find they have more flavor and meat..... Many restaurants overcook BBs.....

I like spares for a couple reasons...

1. Better value (at least in my area) $$$
2. More meat
3. St. Louis cut slab looks more impressive than a slab of BBs to me
4. (most important) With the extra meat in a St. Louis slab, they are much harder to mess up.

I was a baby back guy for ages until I got onto this site, and now spares have me through and through.

I enjoy cutting things up anyway, it was a lot of fun in my old career, and now that I'm out of that line of work the spares give me an excuse to trim em on down St. Louis style!!!

About a month ago I managed to get 3 racks of each in the cart. I think it might have been for "scientific purposes." That was a glorious week, but was told soon after that we wouldn't be having any more of those for a while. I can eat ribs three meals a day, every day -- I had a colleague over last October for a week, and we just about did, much to my wife's distress. Had some baby backs last weekend. Preference? Gheesh, that's like asking me which daughter I like better. I couldn't answer that even if I knew.

I also used to be Baby back fan, but never again unless I'm eating out. St. Louis trimmed Spares every time.

Beef baby backs are the best. Ask Ginger.

I prefer St Louis trimmed spares. They have more meat and fat(and thus more flavor), and are more forgiving if cooked a little too long.

Like 'em both. When I'm buying ribs I'll be buying spares from now on. I tried them a couple weeks ago and loved 'em. My Mom and Dad swear they like baby backs better (although I don't think they've actually had spares)...so when I cook for them they buy baby backs.

I usually go w/ STL spares for both home and comps. But if cooking an unsactioned or MBN event I switch to BB/Loin Backs.

Back