Pepper Quantity In S & P Ribs

Ordell

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Steve
Hey All -

I've been getting more into Q this year progressing from oven baked ribs to using a caveman smoke box and anxiously awaiting my new Camp Chef DLX! It's the first real cooking I've done, so I'm learning a lot.

When I started out I was making complex rubs, but the last few months in order to better understand things, I've been embracing Aaron Franklin's style and have done a lot of ribs (both baby back and spare) and smoked turkey breast.

My wife and friends all seem to like what I am kicking up, but I don't know that they can be trusted. :wink: I'm definitely doing a lot right, but one thing I'm never happy with is the pepperiness of my work - too much! I can be a little sensitive to hot I suppose, but I'm now questioning my palette to some degree.

My question to you is - how many ounces of pepper per rack would/do you use, assuming say a 2:1 ratio with salt? I am using 16 mesh and coarse kosher salt.

Are you weighting or measuring volume?

I believe 2:1 works for volume! 1:1 is for weight

Sometimes its easier to just eyeball it. Sprinkle a reasonable amount of salt and then add pepper to your liking. Maybe it is just your palate. I know I tend to like less. When I go to a steak house or order brisket (especially burnt ends) I often find the meat over seasoned to my taste.

Trust your family's opinion unless you think they are being polite. It's hard to get real constructive criticism as no one wants to dump on a meal you worked hard to cook

You are right with going by your pallet. Do what tastes good to you but, Aaron is 50/50 kosher salt to pepper. You can always do half a rack one way and half the other to speed up your testing.

The method I used for cooking is...start with a recipe/method...learned/posted from others....I start with a recipe/method as written...make it as written...use personal taste...to adjust the recipe/method the second and subsequent times. As your experience levels rise you will be able to make adjustments before starting a new recipe/method the first time. Cooking/smoking is a journey...and a very fulfilling hobby....enjoy it!

You are looking at a good place to learn. I started here looking to learn how to smoke meats...but found methods/recipes encompassing all forms of cooking...and came away with some real good ideas.

We all have different taste for sure. I use 2 parts course pepper to 1 part kosher salt by weight. Texas style I call it. I like pepper. As to how much per slab? I'll have to measure whats left sometime to find out. I just put a light/medium coat on there

I just mix it up in a bowl till it looks right-ish. I would just keep cooking and make minor adjustments till you find what you like best.

Are you weighting or measuring volume?

I believe 2:1 works for volume! 1:1 is for weight

Sometimes its easier to just eyeball it. Sprinkle a reasonable amount of salt and then add pepper to your liking. Maybe it is just your palate. I know I tend to like less. When I go to a steak house or order brisket (especially burnt ends) I often find the meat over seasoned to my taste.

Trust your family's opinion unless you think they are being polite. It's hard to get real constructive criticism as no one wants to dump on a meal you worked hard to cook
I'm measuring, but I did a test and found no significant difference using a 1/2 ounce measure. I though that was interesting, but don't know what to make of it.

I do 1:1 by measure. I tried 2:1 and found it too much for my taste. I suppose I use less of the 1:1 because it’s not too salty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back