Lean baby back ribs

PandaMechanic

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Chris
I'm pretty new to smoking and bbq so I've got a pretty basic question. What are your tricks for lean or lower grade cuts? I cooked some baby back ribs that were pretty lean and ended up pretty dry before hitting the proper temperature, I go for probe tender around 190-200 degrees. I've done the same cook with st louis style ribs and they turned out great I'm guessing because of the high fat content. What are some of your tips for leaner cuts where they don't have a lot of fat naturally? Thanks!

What temp and time did you smoke the ribs at?
Not sure why you'd want temp ribs. Kind of hard to get a real good reading of the actual temp. Since they can be so thin. Going probe tender should be much more accurate to your liking.
Depending on what babybacks you buy. Some are enhanced/brined in package. Some are not.
Not sure around your area. But here, I can get them from #1 1/2 upto #3.
The lower weight ribs typically, not always are from younger pigs.
1.75 would be a good average size/weight babyback. The #3 lbers are thick like porkchops. If that makes sense.
Here we have 1.5, 1.75, 2, 2.25 at most places that carry more than one size/weight.
Hope that helps.

IMO probe tender on ribs is kind of hard, since the meat is generally thin and there's bones involved. I rely on the "bend test" for mine...basically pick up the slab with tongs supporting about half the slab with the tongs, and if the slab bends > 45* and you start seeing some splitting in the meat fibers then they're about perfect.

If they were "dry" and not falling off the bone then they were probably undercooked. They'd have to be really really overcooked to the point of jerky to be dry and overcooked, IME.

I too like the smaller slabs of baby backs that weigh 2lbs or so...in the 3lb neighborhood they have too much loin meat on them for my liking.

So...you....you had 'lean back baby' back ribs!

Sorry.....those guys are right...……………………………..^^^^^^^

I don't buy baby backs that often, but when I do I try to the the ones that do not have the extra strip of loin meat. These might be branded "extra meaty" but you can clearly see a strip of meat about two fingers wide along the face of the rack. I also cook them hotter because they are much leaner than belly ribs, and I wrap at 1.5 to 2 hours and check them after another hour.

The ribs were about two and a half pounds each and I hung them in my wsm. I kept it about 275-300 and let them go for about 1.5-2 hrs and then I wrapped them with butter and honey and some extra seasoning. Before I wrapped them they were about 170 I don't usually temp but I feel like I can use it like a guideline to get me in the neighborhood and then I probe because I'm still pretty new to this but enjoying it.

I did pull them out of the wrap a little early before they were tender and let them finish sauced until probe tender. They weren't like beef jerky but definitely dry I'm used to them being pretty juicy. I hear it's best to let meat rest in their juices so it can be reabsorbed but how do you that with ribs? Anyone ever try saucing ribs and throwing them back on the grill after they've cooled?

I was thinking different on rib weight I figured heavier ribs were harder to overcook or mess up hmm I'll have to try that next time thanks!

I hear it's best to let meat rest in their juices so it can be reabsorbed but how do you that with ribs? Anyone ever try saucing ribs and throwing them back on the grill after they've cooled?
Double wrap the ribs in foil. Place into cooler with towels on top. They will stay hot for a few hours. That is a form of "holding". Where you hold the meat between 140* to 160* for as long as you prefer. Very common with brisket.
A lot of Brethren throw their ribs back on for saucing. After firming up the crust/bark.

Very nice thanks for the tip. Has anyone temped ribs when they're tender and ready to eat? I'm sure there's some variance but are they around 200?

You can't go solely on internal temp for any meat. The temp at which they're "done" will vary based on cook temp, the weather, the way that particular animal is cooking, etc. Your best bet is to go by touch or sight.

Back