Timing question...

indianagriller

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I am doing the amature contest in New Albany, the turn in times are early morning.
8:55 - 9:05 Chicken
9:25 - 9:35 Pork Ribs
9:55 - 10:05 Pulled Pork
10:25-10:35 Brisket

What is the timing for putting brisket and butts on? I did the Madison backyard competition but, it was a one day cook (started early morning and ended at about 7 pm). Just looking for advice on what you guys do for overnight comps. Thanks

Depends on your cooker, how fast or slow it cooks. We put them on the night before and let them spend a little time in the cooler.

I use two UDS and thinking of bringing a third, If they cook like the last comp i will have about 2-3 hours of rest time for brisket/butts if i put them on at about eight pm. I may do a run through this weekend to try it out. Thanks

Give yourself plenty of time for the big meats. They can hold for a long time if you need them too, but there isn't much you can do if you get a stubborn butt or brisket and turn in time is approaching.

We try to get the big meats to rest at least two hours before turn-in. Depending on the size of the meat and the temp you want to cook them at and to, and then work back from there.

Remember one thing, putting in the cambro or in a cooler is NOT resting, it is cooking, try to cooler IMO as little as possible.

Remember one thing, putting in the cambro or in a cooler is NOT resting, it is cooking, try to cooler IMO as little as possible.

It is cooking only if you put it straight from the cooker in to the cooler. You can stop the cooking process by letting it steam out prior to putting it in the cambro.:wink:

Indiana,,, Glad to See you Doing your Homework :-D:-D
I was camped by a couple of Other Backyarders down at the Lake last weekend and that's exactly what they were doing,, Practicing and timing,, Their Conclusion They needed a third smoker just in case,,, Practice Makes Perfect,, 8:55am Perfect time for BBQ Brunch:lol::lol:

It is cooking only if you put it straight from the cooker in to the cooler. You can stop the cooking process by letting it steam out prior to putting it in the cambro.:wink:

I stand corrected, you are exactly correct, let it steam out so you do not loose the juice and continue cooking in the cambro. Put it in the cooler no more then 160 degrees. I try to never cooler, but if I have to, must be cooled down. :-D

Sorry to change subjects but since it was brought up. Which is better, to wrap right out of the cooker and into a cambro then "rest" on the cutting board 15 to 20 mintues before cutting, or steam it as you said Ryan, then wrap and into cambro? Just curious, I have been doing the cambro and then rest. Both cases I am talking about pulling meat from cooker when it is up to desired temp.

Big Mike

Oh, man, those are strange turn-in times. For my equipment, I'd probably put the chicken on at 6 in the morning, ribs at 3 in the morning, and pork and brisket at 8:00 a.m. the morning before.

--frank in Wilson, NY

Back