Liability Insurance To Compete (Not Vend)?

huminie

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
A local contest I am investigating has stated that all teams, whether they vend or not, need to provide proof they have some sort of liability insurance covering them.

I have never heard of such a requirement to compete, and am just trying to get a feel for how common this is.

Here is a quote from the event organizer:

Each team needs to have some form of general liability insurance (not specific to the event) but just personal or professional coverage. Most teams should already have some form of insurance that covers your equipment and for teams that cater they will already have appropriate coverage. We just need some proof that each team has some form of coverage.
If you have had to provide this, what did you do and how much did it cost you?

Coverage for what? If you are not vending then it shouldn't be required...In ten years of BBQing I have never seen this for a non vending team.

Neil

Coverage for what? If you are not vending then it shouldn't be required...In ten years of BBQing I have never seen this for a non vending team.

Neil
I agree......This would limit a lot of the teams that would compete I would think

A couple of friends of mine that are brokers say I should have it. Ill be getting it before the season starts. Covers more than just them trying to pin something on you from a contest...

For which contest is this?

It is called the "Bay Area BBQ Championship", an ICBA, CBBQA ToY event held at the Oakland Coliseum...Yup, the same place Raider fans tailgate and pre-game most Sunday's in the fall.

I also questioned the cost of the event...$250 to enter (early bird if you sign up 4 months early, $285 after that), $75 for 20amp power, plus costs for extra parking, ice etc etc. I was told they are modeling the cost after the HavaBBQ. Unfortunately, with a total purse of $5600, they didn't model the payout schedule after HavaBBQ's $14,000 cash payout.

Insurance will only add to the cost to compete.

If it wasn't a ToY event I wouldn't even consider it, but it is close to home so it is tempting. But so far, not impressed.

Money raised does go to a good charity, I just don't think they should be raising it from the teams competing. :roll:

Ah, I can answer that. Now that I know it is at the Coliseum. Alameda County policy requires that anyone who is holding an event at the Coliseum provide liability coverage for any event AND any entity participating also self-insure not only to protect against someone suing the entity, but, also protecting the County against suit arising from any injury to the entity itself. It means, if you are competing, and you do something stupid, you are insured to protect the County.

So, if you get hurt or your property gets damaged, your insurance covers the initial loss to your limits. It is similar to when i take a project on Alameda County, I have to agree to defend and insure the county.

So, in that case, would a copy of my homeowners policy be sufficient?

And yes, it is BS, it is also coming to a venue near you. It has been spreading throughout CA, due to some attorneys that have formed a consulting group advising municipalities that they can make laws and agreements that force people to agree to take on liability to protect the City. I have seen it in contracts in AZ and OR as well. It is going to push a lot of folks to avoid holding events at public facilities.

So, in that case, would a copy of my homeowners policy be sufficient?
I would talk to my agent, also, see if you have a liability umbrella. The truth is, a limited one time rider would probably be a lot cheaper. I would not want to tie my homeowners insurance to a event in a public area.

$250 to enter (early bird if you sign up 4 months early, $285 after that), $75 for 20amp power, plus costs for extra parking, ice etc etc. I was told they are modeling the cost after the HavaBBQ. Unfortunately, with a total purse of $5600, they didn't model the payout schedule after HavaBBQ's $14,000 cash payout.
Clearly I'm missing something here.
$325 - $360 to enter for a $5600 purse? Plus extra costs for parking/ice/whatever?

I just entered Havasu today -- $300 (we long ago missed the early bird) includes electricity, and as you point out, the purse is $14K. I'm not aware of any extra charges. Not to mention we're getting a KCBS contest with CBJs, and an organizer that put on a first-rate show last year.

The only thing the organizers of the Bay Area event should be hearing from the teams is profound silence.

There is a regrettable tendency of late for some events to stick the teams for whatever they can, and count on filling their spots with inexperienced teams who don't know any better. Teams that put up with that treatment will be getting more of it.

The fact is that there's no contest without the teams, and they deserve a bit more than funding their own prize pool. There will be a minimum of $10,400 taken in entry fees if they get their max 32 teams for a California ToY IBCA event, and only half of that is coming back? And they expect income from PC sales as well?

It'd be easier to just all stand in a circle in the parking lot, pass a $100 bill around the circle, and then all go home without the expense, mess and wear-and-tear of cooking.

Last edited:
Interesting, I thought that comp had a larger prize pool than $5600. Sounds very uninteresting.

Thank you for your perspectives.

The case prize pool is indeed $5600.

Costs to enter include: $250/$285 entry fee which gets you a space and a parking spot. Additional parking spots can be purchased for $17 (RVs require 2). Power is $75 for 20amp or $90 for 40amp. 7lb of ice can be pre-paid at $2.50/bag, or $3.50/bag onsite. Water is $1.25/gal in advance, or $2.00/gal at the event.

Oh, and if you want to do PC you have a couple options. You can donate all of your meat and they will pay the $132 county vending permit for you. Or you can pay $132 permit fee and split your PC money 50/50 with them.

I don't compete "for the money" and know it is an expensive hobby, but this just seems unreasonable to me. It really seems like they are putting their fundraising effort squarely on the back of the competitors. Ugh.

I was making plans to be in the Bay Area and thought this would be a cool event to check out and possibly cook with relatives, but now I'll see if the Giants are in town instead.

Back