Making boxes?

porkingINpublic

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
How many of you make ur boxes early, like the night before? I would think your greens would wilt unless put in a fridge.... And then your box is cold which means ur meat will cool faster when turned in...

I've always just done it about 30 min prior to turn in but that isn't much fun....

We always do them the night before and keep them in a cooler with ice. We take them out about 30 minutes before turn in to come up to room temp.

We always do it on Friday and put them in a cooler that has ice in the bottom (we bring a cooler just for the boxes). They come out shortly before each turn in. I've never noticed the parsley to be particularly cold/detrimental to the temperature of meat going into the box. It is nice to not have to worry about the boxes on Saturday.

Letting them come up to temp makes sense. I just don't want my meat to get cold due to the box and all of the greens being cold.

My wife makes them on Saturday morning and we keep them in the fridge until turn in time. When she's running a box I take out the next one to warm up.

It works for us.

I like to normally make mine the night before and set them in a ice chest to stay cool then pull out about our before turn in to come up to temp. I have not had any problems with them wilting our anything

My daughter makes mine on Wednesday or Thursday. We flip into the contest boxes Friday night.

I always make mine on Friday and then toss them in the fridge. There is no time on Saturday to it when you are a one man team.

If I have time the weekend before the comp, I will follow Danielle's process of putting them on saran wrap and then in to the fridge until the next Saturday. I have tested them out to 10 days and they still looked good.
http://divaq.ca/making-parsley-turn-in-boxes-in-advance-the-putting-green

I do mine friday evening. I lay a slightly damp paper towel on top of the greens and then put the box in a cooler. I take a box out about 15 minutes before the first turn in and then I take one out for the next turn in as soon as the previous meat is away.

I have no problem sub contracting it out. If my wife isn't with me, I coerce and/or bribe any women or children within earshot to make mine.

I have no problem sub contracting it out. If my wife isn't with me, I coerce and/or bribe any women or children within earshot to make mine.

you callin' steve a woman or a child? :laugh:

mine are made the day before or very early morning of turn ins. wet paper towel over greens and in cooler. pulled out 15 min to half hour before needed.

We do our Friday and put them in the cooler. Pull them out right before turnins always works fine.

Thanks for the great advice. I'll have to Try the paper towel method .

The damp paper towel is awesomely useful. But not for what most people do it for, which is to help keep the parsley fresher/cooler/moister etc. I do it so I can have a damp paper towel to wipe out sauce smudges after the meat goes in the box. So putting one in there prior makes you have to reach for one less thing when doing turn ins.

The Mrs. does them at home on Wednesday if we are leaving on Thursday then I flip them on Saturday. We have a cooler that I put 2 home made zip-loc ice packs on the bottom of the cooler then put 2 boxes in,then 2 more ice packs, 2 more boxes and 2 more ice packs on top. if needed, I will refill ice packs as needed.
She loves the idea, that way she has good light in the kitchen to sort the greens and fill the boxes.
Happy wife = great weekend.:clap2:

Back