Sushi anyone?

BBQ Bacon

is One Chatty Farker
Name or Nickame
Dean
Our daughter bought us a Sushi making kit for Christmas and we finally got around to giving it a try. This is the kit she got us. Fungyang Sushi Making Kit

Made up the sushi rice, let it cool then got down to business. You fill both sides with rice, then use the plunger to put a divit in the rice, and will with your toppings. Close and clamp it shut, put on the end cap, then turn the plunger a few times in then give it a push to compact it.

We use cucumber, avocado and shrimp for the filling.

Sushi-3.jpg

Then lay out your norie and push the rice onto it. Sorry, didn't grab a pick of that step. But then roll up the rice in the nori, wet the end and seal it. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes to let the nori soften, then cut and enjoy.

Used wasabi powder and water to make a paste and enjoyed it with soy sauce.

Sushi-4.jpg

Sushi-2.jpg

Sushi-1.jpg

Word of note. When they sticky rice, they mean it. OMG it was stuck to everything. Pretty much had to wash my hands between each role as rice was stuck all over my hands. Overall, it turned out very well and I can see us doing this more often.

Word of note. When they sticky rice, they mean it. OMG it was stuck to everything. Pretty much had to wash my hands between each role as rice was stuck all over my hands. Overall, it turned out very well and I can see us doing this more often.
Looks great! As for the sticky rice, make sure you wash the rice before cooking and keep your fingertips wet. It'll still stick, but shouldn't be quite as bad.
We've been doing fried rice a lot lately and I always make a mess.

That looks really nice! I am a big sushi and sashimi fan. Mostly nigiri (not rolls) sushi but a roll with plenty of fish or maybe a fried soft shell crab is good.

I saw a video on facebook last night that made me think of this thread. They made nagiri using ice cube trays. first a layer of plastic wrap, then the fish, then finished with rice. Flipped it over and pulled on the plastic wrap and wallah! Seems like they would be mighty small given the size of most ice cube trays, but I bet you could find bigger ones to use.

Looks good to me, Dean. Love sushi but mostly lean toward sashimi to avoid the rice carbs.

There's an interesting store/restaurant few miles away that I hit occasionally. It's a store that sells everything (sushi-making tools and ingredients) to make your own at home.

They have a cooler of many varieties of packaged fresh sashimi to take home, as well as prepared sushi/sashimi dishes they make. I go to the sashimi area first and sorta feel like a kid in a candy store. Very difficult to walk out of there without spending at least $70-80 to take home.

They had a small sushi bar in the back. They'd grind fresh wasabi right in front of you to take home if you asked. Last time in there, it was a sushi bar...only 7-8 stools. Looking at the website now appears they've expanded to adding tables. Reminder to self to check it out again.

Back