Water pressure tank

milehigh

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
A freind who knew i was looking for a 55 drum brought me a used steel water pressure tank that is 4 feet high by 2 feet in diameter. Before i get carried away making a smoker out of this, do you think there would be any reason not to use this. I'm sure it has a rubber bladder inside, but not sure of any coatings or treatments to the steel. I e-mailed the company about turning it into a smoker, but i'm thinking they will dismiss it for
a) a joke:-D
b) a whacko:mrgreen:
c) liability:eek:

Any insight appreciated

Paul

I would watch out for any liner as well as checking that it's not galvanized steal... Other than that, go for it...

Thanks Dive. I did hear back from the company and they said it was just steel. Looks like i am good to go. Now to come up with a 48" tall drum plan(or shorten it?).

I don't know... not a UDS guy, I'm more of a stick burner (though I do have the BGE)... Guy's what do you think, is 48" to big???

Will a 22.5" Weber cooking grate fit it? The height should be no problem. Post some pics and you'll get more insight. It's a sealed unit isn't it?

48" tall, just means you gotta reach further to load/unload the coals, but on the other hand, you can get an extra cooking grate or two in there...

James.

Thanks for the link Mark. Definitely some talent there!!

You read my mind James:-D

I set my weber lid on top Brian and the tank has a tad bigger outside diameter. Should be just about right for the 22.5 grill. I'll have to post some pics

Thanks guys
Paul

Considering I have one that is just short of 6 feet tall, 48 seems like a little feller.:biggrin:

I assume the pressure tank will be much heavier than your average 55-gallon drum; but that's a good thing. As for 24" versus 22.5", that's only a 3/4" gap between the grill and the tank wall. Not an issue at all. So definately go for it.

Hey MileHigh, I say go for it man... I love my small upright smoker. It did 6 racks of ribs on it the other day so yah, dont think it cant pull its weight... Its my lil hercules!:biggrin::biggrin: and btw it's totally weld-less. Feel free to PM me if you choose to do something similar.

Cheers

couple of things... there will be a bladder inside....there will be a plastic like liner inside and there will also be 2 chambers in it if its what i am thinking it is...

heres what mine started out looking like

if you notice inside there is another chamber inside, you will have to cut it out to make room

Thanks for the support guys!
So here are my initial plans:
1) Make a cut about 7 " from the top
2) Go down another 7' and make cut #2

That would give me a height about the same as a 55 drum with a 7" dome top and make an extension/rotiserie ring with the 7" cutoff.

Any suggestions appreciated

Paul

Great thread ... I have 2 that I use as burn barrels. I have always looked at them and wondered ... would they work? Never ventured further into the idea. Now, gotta go visit my well drilling buddy. He has about 20 sitting in his back yard.

Thanks for the support guys!
So here are my initial plans:
1) Make a cut about 7 " from the top
2) Go down another 7' and make cut #2

That would give me a height about the same as a 55 drum with a 7" dome top and make an extension/rotiserie ring with the 7" cutoff.

Any suggestions appreciated

Paul

there is going to be 2 chambers one is going to be smaller than the other

when you cut it, there will be LOTS of smoker

i dont know if this is going to make a good verticle smoker, more of a horizontal smoker unless you cut off one of the "rings"

look on your tank, u will probably see where there is a weld in the middle(or there abouts) of the tank. thats where two tanks are joined to make one.

Do they all have 2 chambers. The only welds on this one are where the top and bottom (caps??) were welded on and one long vertical seam up the side.

Don't remember my burn barrels having 2 chambers when I cut the tops off.

Do they all have 2 chambers. The only welds on this one are where the top and bottom (caps??) were welded on and one long vertical seam up the side.

then you may not have a two chamber one, mine had another piece that was welded inside

guess only way you are going to find out is to cut that baby open..lol

like i said b4, keep in mind that you are going to be grinding through the inner membrane(plastic) and mostly likely it will smoke and may even catch a small fire...mine did..

This is a diaphram tank that I am going to make into a vertical smoker. It sounds like you are describing one of these. The sidewall is thinner than I was hoping for but the top and bottom are much heavier.

The rubber bladder was easy to remove. The only real concern is the epoxy paint that was used to paint the metal under the bladder.

Trying a pic

Attachments

• drum 003.jpg
    drum 003.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 51
Back