Rich Has a Gas Problem

BeeRich

Got Wood.
Nothing new. LOL.

But seriously, folks, my Napoleon PT450 Infrared Grill, hooked up to house natural gas, has low flowrates. All burners are quite low for some reason. Double left burners, single right burner, the infrared burner, and the horizontal rotisserie burner, all have low heat.

I pulled the IR burner, cleaned it up, blew into it for spiders, replaced it making sure it was seated properly. Still same low heat. At this point I tested all burners and they are all low.

Attached are the diagrams from the manual. I'm thinking either the gas line from the ball valve (~8 feet of flex line) or the gas manifold has a spider in it. But I don't know how to check those, nor to mention clean them. I have a venturi brush, and access to compressed air DOWNSTAIRS, which cannot reach. I can take the flex-line downstairs I guess.

Any insight appreciated. Cheers

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-18 at 1.01.01 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-06-18 at 1.01.01 PM.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 212
  • Screen Shot 2022-06-18 at 1.01.18 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-06-18 at 1.01.18 PM.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 216
  • Screen Shot 2022-06-18 at 1.01.45 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-06-18 at 1.01.45 PM.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 211
  • Screen Shot 2022-06-18 at 1.02.19 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-06-18 at 1.02.19 PM.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 212
  • Screen Shot 2022-06-18 at 1.02.34 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-06-18 at 1.02.34 PM.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 214
My question is:

Was the unit set-up for Natural Gas?

If it wasn't, you'll probably need to change the orifice to accommodate the use of Natural Gas. Many appliances are designed with a reversible orifice unit; One side for Natural Gas (CNG), One side for Propane (LPG).

Consult your manual or call the manufacturer.

If you have had it connected to natural gas before, and the problem is new, check to see if it has a regulator.

^^^ Much more detailed than I was going to say ^^^
Me thinks Rich has a regulator problem.

Yes. It's been working for 13 years. There is no regulator. This issue just started this spring. Nothing has changed.

My question is:

Was the unit set-up for Natural Gas?

If it wasn't, you'll probably need to change the orifice to accommodate the use of Natural Gas. Many appliances are designed with a reversible orifice unit; One side for Natural Gas (CNG), One side for Propane (LPG).

Consult your manual or call the manufacturer.

If you have had it connected to natural gas before, and the problem is new, check to see if it has a regulator.

Yes. It's been working for 13 years. There is no regulator. This issue just started this spring. Nothing has changed.

That would make me suspect the issue isn't with the unit necessarily but possibly before it.

Well, the manifold is inside (diagrams). And the hose, which connects to the manifold. I don't know how to deal with hose. Manifold has a 90 degree screw thread attachment point for the hose and the hose is 8 feet long and no clue how the disconnect side works (diaphram perhaps?).

That would make me suspect the issue isn't with the unit necessarily but possibly before it.

You may also want to call your local Nat Gas supplier. The diaphragms at the meter can get weak. It used to be 12.5mm to residential. Not sure now. Are there any other appliances in your home showing reduced flow? Should be a clean blue flame. Good Luck!

Found the problem. Quick disconnect has a check valve in it that was seized. Penetrating oil did the trick.

Thanks for all insight.

I was going to say check for spiders. Glad you found the problem.

Hi there. Nothing else has changed. It was the disconnect check valve.

You may also want to call your local Nat Gas supplier. The diaphragms at the meter can get weak. It used to be 12.5mm to residential. Not sure now. Are there any other appliances in your home showing reduced flow? Should be a clean blue flame. Good Luck!

Back