Smoked Deep Dish Pizza?

B

BBQ Bros

I've got a Weber Smokey Mountain and have been thinking about trying a deep dish pizza for the first time sometime soon. Any tips, tricks, learning experiences, recipes, etc....you can share? One of my fav books "Smoke & Spice", has a recipe that really only calls for 15-20 minutes on the smoker at the end of the process to smoke/melt the cheese a bit. Do you guys think it's worth the effort of firing up the WSM for only 15-20 of cook time?

I also have a Weber One Touch Gold, so perhaps it's better to cook one on that?

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

I would just cook it on the OTG and add some wood at the end of the cook. It will take 20-30 minutes to cook a deep dish pizza.

+1 for the OTG. Here's one that I have done in the past.... great pizza...

http://bbq.setzler.net/2011/11/12/another-cast-iron-deep-dish-pizza/

JMSetzler - I just showed my wife your recipe and she demanded I attempt that this weekend!!! That looks amazing!

Two quick questions (i'm a newbie...) - what's the pizza stone for? does it provide more even heating than directly on the grate? also, is that a potato that you've got the probe in? why? thanks for your help!!

JMSetzler - I just showed my wife your recipe and she demanded I attempt that this weekend!!! That looks amazing!

Two quick questions (i'm a newbie...) - what's the pizza stone for? does it provide more even heating than directly on the grate? also, is that a potato that you've got the probe in? why? thanks for your help!!

The pizza stone is not really a requirement of any sort. I just put it on the grill and let it heat up with the grill and it gives me a good indication of the temperature. I use a simple infrared thermometer to see where I am before I put the pizza on. Definitely not a requirement. It may or may not provide more even heating. The cast iron pan is gonna heat evenly enough for this project.

Yes... I stick my temp probe through a potato if I have one laying around just to keep it off the grate. It gives a more accurate temperature reading that way....

Have fun with it :)

PS - I don't remember if I mentioned it, but grease the pan a little and douse it with some corn meal before you put the dough in...

Back